Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the mixwiz 16:2 meet my needs? Need routing help/mixer advice.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the mixwiz 16:2 meet my needs? Need routing help/mixer advice.

Hey all,

I have been using a CR1604 VLZ (not pro) for over 10 years and am now on my 2nd time of ribbon cable issues. This time it is Main Right and CR Left.

Anyway, let me explain how I have this thing hooked up in my home studio/practice space.

Channels 1-4 = extra mic inputs/pres for whatever someone might need. My main pres are RNP and RME Fireface.

Channels 9-10 inputs from the RME main outputs. Basically these 2 channels are used for all sound that comes from my DAW. I keep them panned hard L&R and keep trim and faders to unity. I have this set up this way so I can easily route the output from my DAW to:

Sub 1-2: feeds my powered monitors

Sub 3-4: feeds a home stereo setup (CR volume knob is routed to this group and CR outs feed my 4 channel headphone amp)

Main: feeds my PA speakers

Channels 12-16 are used for PA mics that the band uses for vox. These are simply routed to MAIN and only used for VOX during practice sessions.

As you can see, I believe I'm using the most out of its sub group capabilities but at the same time the ribbon cable fiasco has left me soured when it comes to purchasing another Mackie product.

I hear nothing but great things about the mixwiz but can it compete with the Mackie's subgroup stuff? Could I possibly have this many things connected using its 6 aux sends somehow?

Anyone familiar with both to give me any sort of advice as to what to look into or do?

Basically I need a small mixer capable of handling band practice but a robust monitoring environment for when I record and mix.

You will love the Mix wiz over the Mackie and the only Mackies that were any good were the mid 90's stuff that was made in the USA. You will have 6 Aux, but 2 will be dedicated to your on board effects and the other 4 you can do what ever you want with them. You also have ST-1 and ST-2 channels that you can use for other things too. You will get 20 channels total with the Mix Wiz. I have one and love it. Here is a link to the manual for it, http://www.fullcompass.com/common/fi...UserManual.pdf
    www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

First off, I'd say if you're into recording a band and using a mixer, The perfect

solution would be a digital mixer with multi channel recording capibilities.

Otherwise, a mixer is simply redundant hardware not needed for tracking or mixing,

unless you're still using aalog reel to reel gear and you have to use a mixer.

Todays interfaces have high quality adjustable preamps which is all you need or want.

Passing all your bands mics through an analog mixer is simply going to color the signal and add noise.

A mic going to a high quality preamp and straight to the digital converters captures maximum sound

quality and mixing the signal in its digital form within the DAW untill its mixed down and burned to a CD

insures maximum sound quality. Using an analog mixer in the mixing stage means the signal will have to

be converted back to analog and therefore more losses occur during that process.

I have about 6 mixers of varying quality in storage collecting dust. They date back to my analog days

where I needed them to preamplify mics and mix down the multitrack tape to a stereo deck. Once I

switched to digital recording, the use of a mixer for tracking or mixing became obsolite.

My interface cards do provide the ability for me to pass all 16 separate channels directly into

a mixer but after much experimentation I found the recordings sounded better If I mixed within the DAW.

You do loose the hands on feel not having knobs to twist, but with the cost of controllers coming down,

even thats not an excuse any more. I just bought a Korg Mini for my one DAW that will let me adjust track volumes

and pans. i can program it to adjust effects too if I want.

I do use an analog mixer for my PA. I tap the vocal mics just after the first stage of preamplification from the mic sends.

This gets me direct recording from the vocal mics. I record the bass directly from the amps recording send too. I have

4 guitar amps, some are miced and some record from their amp simulated sends.

Drums mics pass through a separate 8 channel preamp to 8 channels of the interface.

I used to use a mixer for a drum mic preamp. When I only had 8 channels for live recording,

I used an 8 channel mixer for the drums and mixed down to a stereo send to the interface.

I'd have to get a perfect stereo mix on the drums because I couldnt separate the drum parts

on just two tracks. I could place a hardware compressor or reverb in the effects loop too.

I dumped the mixer and went with a decent quality preamp once I got a second interface

and could record 16 channels at a time.

With a digital mixer you get the both of both worlds. The tracks get recorded within the mixer,

then you can mix within the unit, dump them to a thumb drive to move to a DAW, or you

can link a laptop or DAW directly to the mixer. If you're going to spend a grand, I'd definately look

at this option. You can record live gigs, rehursals, or use it strictly for recording. I've heard the results

of recording on one of them too, and they can knock your socks off.

Comment

I love my MixWiz and use it primarily for live shows. I am currently looking into some recording interface to add to it .... but that is only because I already have a rack full of gear to do what any decent digital mixer can do for me.

If I were starting out today from scratch, I would likely get a StudioLive 16.4.2 and use my laptop and the supplied SL software to record with and then use any number of DAW software programs to mix and master the recording.

One note on the MixWiz .... the unit has line outs on every channel (which is good for recording); however, by default the line out is before the channel eq (and does not include the on-board efx either). There is a jumper inside the unit you can switch which will give you the channel eq before the line outs.

I don't use the built in efx on the MixWiz. While they rank in the "usable" category in my book (for live sound), they are no match for my TC Electronics M-OneXL. When I record, I will be using the signals dry and doing all efx within my DAW with plug-ins .... which offer a much better sounding reverb/compression/limiting... fill in the blank ... than any off-board equipment is capable of (as should be expected from post processing with the computing resources of an i7 at hand).

In comparison to your Mackie, the MixWiz has better pre-amps, a MUCH better channel eq, and is a much quieter board. It is also more flexible in most respects. The MixWiz does not have mix groups though. I see this as more of an issue for live sound than recording since any decent DAW software can give you infinite mix groups.

I have just started looking into the stand alone hardware available for a DAW. If all you do is record, I am not sure that a dedicated DAW isn't a better idea. The MixWiz, StudioLive, and your Mackie were all designed for live performance.
        With Greater Knowledge Comes Greater Understanding

Comment

OneEng,

I Agree 110% The Mix Wiz is by far heads and tails above the Mackie. Allen and Heath boards go back a long long time for the standard in the studio in Europe. I know I helped a band record a demo in Scotland in 85 and used a Allen and Heath that was old back then...lol!

I have used the direct outs right into a digital recorder, but you need to be an octopus or have another guy running the mix there as well. We recorded a few live songs for a band and went out from my mix wiz into a Korg D3200. Most everything was DI'd into the Mix Wiz with no backline and everything went out the front. It turned out very nice, but it truly was a pain in the arse. It can be done, but the guy on the dig mixer better be really good. I set all of the EQ up on the Mix Wiz and then he copied it on the D3200 and we did a sound check so he could tweak it from there. It turned out very well for a Demo CD for handing out to Bars for the band, we learned something and had fun doing it.
          www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think you read my OP where I said I do use outboard preamps for recording. These are not run through the mixing board. I only use a few of the boards channel strips for extra channels for background sounds, etc.

Basically the board in our practice space acts as more of a Monitor Station and PA for band practice at the same time. I went and got the mixwiz. It sounds fantastic. HOWEVER, the lack of sub groups and "independent" outputs makes me want to pull my hair out so far.. Basically...

Frustrated to say the least!

Ok, I went and bought it. Sounds great! Now before I take it back/throw it into the street , Let me ask some what may sound very complicated questions.

Why is there no way to prevent certain channels/ auxes from getting into my LR mix?

I tried many different hookup scenarios but settled on:

DAW/RME into Channels 1&2. 1 feeds aux1&3. 2 feeds aux2&4.

Aux1&2 are sent to my headphone amp. Main outs from headphone amp go to home stereo.

Aux3&4 are sent to my CR Monitors. (I also tried hooking up my monitors to AB Outputs, more on that later).

Main outs are sent to my PA.

Band practice vox mics are put into channels 12-16 where I use aux5 to send some of the signal to an external fx processor for the PA. I am returning the fx signal back to ST2 and engage the switch to sent that signal to LR.

Now, here is where it gets all wacked. I put on itunes on the DAW to test this all out. I have itunes playing and its coming through the CR monitors just fine as it should, but its also coming out of the PA as well. I understand why, but its crazy to think that during practice, if I want to throw on a song/video real quick for reference, and the PA is at band VOX levels, that the DAW is going to be coming out of the PA that loud.

To you that had a setup like this, did you just make a habit of turning down your LR fader before touching anything on the DAW?

Should I use ST1 or ST2 for my DAW/RME outputs?

The AB out thing has me baffled too. They give you the jumper option to make it pre LR fader but I just dont understand how that makes any difference from the fact that they already have a monitor/LR option switch on the front for that?

Im confused as hell and am probably asking for way too much coming from a semi 4buss I guess. Any suggested are much welcomed.

Thanks

Comment

Read the manual about 5 times as I figured out something new every time that I did at first. Even turning your sliders down doesn't mean you will get no sound, use the mute button on the channels, that way you do not have to reset your levels too. Really read carefully about the ST-1 and 2, you can hook monitors up to aux 1&2 and control them easily that way. Really read about the Aux's in the manual about monitors.

I hope this helps. Work on one step at a time and it makes it easier to go back if it makes things worse.

Bart
              www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

Thanks Bart,

I got it ****************in rockin now. Took a while but ended up just plugging in my DAW into ST2 and using AB out for the monitors. Phones out to my headphone amp. This frees up all 16 channels and all my auxes for whatever down the road.

Pretty damn cool, I can simply press on the ST2 to LR button and adjust how much of my DAW gets sent to the PA when I want.

Yea ST2 is supposedly unbalanced but I cant hear a difference. Sounds great and works my entire studio as a PA/Monitoring station.

Thanks again!

Comment

No problem Brutha! I told you that you would love it, they are one of the best boards made, hands down and you can buy parts for them too, unlike Mackies or other big name boards.

Keep in touch and shoot me a recording or two.

Bart

btketner@charter.net
                  www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

Mix Wiz has a nice EQ section, and 6 aux sends, if I'm not mistaken. Nice preamps as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X