Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Monitor positioning - amount to angle inward

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor positioning - amount to angle inward

Hi everyone,

I've been a home recording enthusiast for quite a long time but unfortunately my experience with decent monitors is limited. I got a pair of Equator D5s and I'm loving them so far, but I have a few questions about placement.

I've got them on stands so that the cones (coaxial, both woofer and tweeter) are at ear level, and I've done rough measurements (as close as I can get with really limited tools) to establish an equilateral triangle. I'm wondering how sharp the monitors should be angled inwards towards me. All the instructions I've ever seen say "angle inwards towards listener", not necessarily "towards ears".

I'm sure it would make the most sense to have them angled towards my ears specifically, but I just wanted to hear some thoughts. Right now they're angled so that if I had laser beams coming from the center of the cones, the point of convergence would be roughly at my nose. Should I reduce the amount of angling inwards so that the point of convergence would be basically inside my head (and thus the beams would be aimed directly at my ears)?

I know the answer will probably be "try both and see what you like", and of course I have, but they sound different...not necessarily better in one position. Since they're new and I'm not used to them, I don't know which angle is producing a more accurate sound. Anyone care to share their two cents?
    http://simplehomerecording.com

If you have a triangle, thats all thats needed so long as the flat side is

facing at your ears. How large a triangle depends on how far the two are

spread out. My recording desk is about 12' long (I have it packed with gear too)

I have about 6' on either side where I have my monitors placed. I have several sets

of monitors including HiFi speakers. You do get a different sound when you move around

within the triangle, but its not like the frequency changes a whole lot. Its more to do with the

amount of reflection you may hear. What I do is when my mix is real close to getting done,

I point the monitors out into the room and I walk around the room to hear how things sound.

If things sound good up close and at a distance then I know I'm in good shape.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Markdude
      View Post

Hi everyone,

I've been a home recording enthusiast for quite a long time but unfortunately my experience with decent monitors is limited. I got a pair of Equator D5s and I'm loving them so far, but I have a few questions about placement.

I've got them on stands so that the cones (coaxial, both woofer and tweeter) are at ear level, and I've done rough measurements (as close as I can get with really limited tools) to establish an equilateral triangle. I'm wondering how sharp the monitors should be angled inwards towards me. All the instructions I've ever seen say "angle inwards towards listener", not necessarily "towards ears".

I'm sure it would make the most sense to have them angled towards my ears specifically, but I just wanted to hear some thoughts. Right now they're angled so that if I had laser beams coming from the center of the cones, the point of convergence would be roughly at my nose. Should I reduce the amount of angling inwards so that the point of convergence would be basically inside my head (and thus the beams would be aimed directly at my ears)?

I know the answer will probably be "try both and see what you like", and of course I have, but they sound different...not necessarily better in one position. Since they're new and I'm not used to them, I don't know which angle is producing a more accurate sound. Anyone care to share their two cents?

What you're asking is "How much should the speakers be toed in"?

Speaker placement and listening position can make all the difference in the world.

Having them toed in as far as you do now is a little extreme. Different manufactures make different recommendations but generally a good place to start is to have the right speaker facing to your right ear or just out side that area and the left to the left ear or right outside that area. This is usually the tightest angle that you'd want.

It's also more beneficial to have the tweeter at ear height because the highs are more unidirectional and the lows are more omnidirectional.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Tom Waltz<br />
      High Quality - Affordable Online Mastering <br />
      <a href="http://www.waltzmastering.com" target="_blank">www.waltzmastering.com</a><br />
      <a href="mailto:waltzmastering@gmail.com">waltzmaster ing@gmail.com</a></div>

Comment

I use this guy's speaker placement method skip to 30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02qpJt0hsL0

Comment

Working...
        X