X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my Fostex MR16 HD/CD

Ok I just opened the MR16 last night and well all seemed to be working ok, reading the manual as I went along until I figured "this makes sense lets try some tracks". So off to record one track using the unbalance/guitar input on input A (which has the mic/amp simulations on it too), well after a few seconds of recording (maybe a minute) the whole unit shuts down. :freak: Ok weird start it back up try it again, same thing.... Record like 20secs saved it played back nothing, well it played back and there was sound etc... but the MR16 didn't have it's freak out and suddenly shut off on me. Cool I thought, lets record another track on top of this one. About 14secs in the machine shuts down. Hmmmm

Called MusiciansFriend and they suggested that the signal from my guitar directly into it was too weak or too strong, so after I explained that the volume wasn't high enough to even cause the peak light to go off the person on the phone suggested using the phantom power. Ok tried and same result..

So anyone else have one of these units that suddenly shuts off on them mid record within under a minute?

Suggestions?

BTW the cable I'm plugging into with my guitar is just a regular 1/4" cable, it states nowhere on the manual that it should be anything else.

Thanks again for any help,

Gary
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><b><font size="1">AMPS</font></b><font size="1"><br />
    <font color="Blue"><b>Peters Hydra<br />
    Peters Chimera </b></font><br />
    Peavey 5150 -FJA Modified-<br />
    Peavey VTM120</font><br />
    <font size="1"><b>CABS</b><br />
    <font color="Blue"><b>2-Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412A</b></font>(G12K-100XHellatone 60L)<br />
    2-Peavey 5150 Cabs(G12T-100)<br />
    Peavey 5150 Cab (WGS Veteran 30)</font><br />
    <b><font size="1">GUITARS<br />
    <font color="Blue">ESP Horizon NT-II (Neck:Painkiller/Bridge:Painkiller) </font></font></b><font size="1"><br />
    Gibson Les Paul Studio (Neck: D-Activator/Bridge: D-Activator)<br />
    Ltd EC-1000 (Neck:Evolution/Bridge:EVO2)</font><br />
    <font size="1"><font color="Blue">Great Transactions w/:sdresdre,lumpy555,angelhair0,boleiro,Dark Aegis, ErikHoppy,hemiram2006,Rhammer19,mincy</font></font></div>

Called MusiciansFriend and they suggested that the signal from my guitar directly into it was too weak or too strong, so after I explained that the volume wasn't high enough to even cause the peak light to go off the person on the phone suggested using the phantom power. Ok tried and same result...

musiciansfriend... bah!

I don't know. I've had 3 standalones and never had a signal shut down a hard drive... which is what I think. Hard drive or system crash. Phantom power on a 1/4 guitar line signal?

Don't know how Fostex is lately on tech support but call them. Sounds to me like musiciansfriend needs to replace your recorder. My guess.

Comment

Ya I decided to ship it back to them, they sent me an RA, so now I have to wait till Feb 10 till they get more in stock :freak:
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><b><font size="1">AMPS</font></b><font size="1"><br />
      <font color="Blue"><b>Peters Hydra<br />
      Peters Chimera </b></font><br />
      Peavey 5150 -FJA Modified-<br />
      Peavey VTM120</font><br />
      <font size="1"><b>CABS</b><br />
      <font color="Blue"><b>2-Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412A</b></font>(G12K-100XHellatone 60L)<br />
      2-Peavey 5150 Cabs(G12T-100)<br />
      Peavey 5150 Cab (WGS Veteran 30)</font><br />
      <b><font size="1">GUITARS<br />
      <font color="Blue">ESP Horizon NT-II (Neck:Painkiller/Bridge:Painkiller) </font></font></b><font size="1"><br />
      Gibson Les Paul Studio (Neck: D-Activator/Bridge: D-Activator)<br />
      Ltd EC-1000 (Neck:Evolution/Bridge:EVO2)</font><br />
      <font size="1"><font color="Blue">Great Transactions w/:sdresdre,lumpy555,angelhair0,boleiro,Dark Aegis, ErikHoppy,hemiram2006,Rhammer19,mincy</font></font></div>

Comment

I would get a refund and buy a better brand IMO Foxtex not a decent brand of products more bottom on the line economy stuff that's threw together in a few seconds look over by a blind QC guy then boxed up and ship to your door. I would just add more money and go with Roland or Yamaha I still have my old Yamaha MD8 which is going on 10 yrs now without a single problem I use it to record our bands rehearsal's i doubt that Foxtex wouldn't last that long.

Comment

• shurn7524@verizon.net
          Editing a comment

Good move. Sounds like the unit is kissed from the get go. When I want to do the multi-tracker route rather than pro-tools, I am now using a Tascam DP-24 with a removable mini-disk.Great for small projects (24 tracks).  No disc noise, very quiet, and incredible editing and efx. You can get a brand new one on ebay for under 500.00.

Good Luck,

Steve

Working...
      X