Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a travel songwriting rig?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a travel songwriting rig?

Hi guys,

I've had a recording rig for a while but been too busy between family, work and travel to use it very much at all.  I travel a bit for work, usually have some downtime with it, and am about to need a new computer to travel with and also use as a portable songwriting rig (work will pay for the computer).  I'm thinking about a macbook air.

Anyone have any suggestions for an audio interface and keyboard controller - main requirements are bus-powered, light and small.  Budget ideally around US$400.  I have been thinking about the focusrite scarlett 2i2 and the Akai mpk mini 25, using Garageband as the DAW (I can import any good stuff I do into Logic pro at home for mixing), or perhaps even the behringer UMA25S (which looks like it has a good feature set and cost for what I want but I can't find any info on USB3 compatibility, and build and sound quality (limited to 16bit, mic input on a 1/8" jack) worry me.

I have mics I know and like, decent headphones.  I won't need monitors, mics or outboard.

Thanks,

Steve

Great trades with Tengo, Goldie-gold, Ancient Mariner, TritoneTerror and lowbrow

For hotel room songwriting, wouldn't a simple solution like an Apogee One at around $250 be enough for your purposes? Unless you absolutely require more than one input for songwriting. It's made specifically to work with the MAC; just add hard drive, headphones, and a table mic and your good to go. It could all fit into a large laptop case..olduncledinogiammattei 

Comment

I could use the Apogee one, and I believe the audio quality is great.  Although, the focusrite is cheaper, and it would be great to have the ability to record in stereo at band practices, or lay down guitar and vocal ideas at the same time.

Steve

Great trades with Tengo, Goldie-gold, Ancient Mariner, TritoneTerror and lowbrow

Comment

Working...
      X