X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAJOR CUBASE LE4 PROBLEM!

Okay, I am having a MAJOR problem with Cubase LE4. I have been dealing with it for MONTHS and i HAVE to stop it!!!!:soapbox:

I have an account on the Lexicon site (where I got the Lexicon Omega). I put all of my questions there, and NOBODY could answer this one- I've tried everything I could understand, but now I have discovered HC (thank God!) and I'm sure you guys could help out with this FRUSTRATING problem.
    Whenever I play a track or anything, the song skips and crackles. I noticed that on the bottom bar where it shows the time, the metronome, and everything else (otherwise known as the transport panel) there is a meter all the way to the left side. Whenever the song screws up, it lights up red. When I put the mouse over it, it says "ASIO Time Usgae". What does this mean, and how do I fix the problem??
    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;A penny saved is a penny earned. Unless it was someone else's penny, then you have to kinda give it back.&quot; <br />
    -Arty Kica</div>

There are two things i could think of, but i'm not sure on either... hey, at least i'm trying.

1. You might have alot of strain on the CPU.. maybe get more RAM or close any background applications.
    2. USB bandwidth maybe? Does your interface run off firewire or USB? Do you have other stuff that also uses those busses?

*shrug*

Comment

what are your comp specs?

definitely sounds like a RAM problem.

Comment

i think maybe you need a much more powerfull pc , ihad same problem , i`ve now got a AMD athlon(tm) 64 x2 duel core processor 3800+ 2.10 ghz, 1.93 GB of RAM . don`t ask me what it means but it works, the other comp i had had about 650 ram and it worked but only to a point.you should be able to pick one up for no more than

Comment

what are your comp specs?

definitely sounds like a RAM problem.

There is no definitely... when it comes to problems like this there are a number of possible causes.

First of all keep in mind that even a really old computer with almost no RAM to speak of at all is capable of running a few tracks of audio without issue. Many years ago I recorded on computers that had 128MB and 256MB of RAM.

Any computer that is working properly should be able to record and play back a track or two without problems. If you are running a bunch of tracks and/or lots of software effects then that is a different issue, any computer will eventually run out of gas if you keep throwing enough at it.

Here is a bunch of things I would say you should go through if your getting pops, crackles, dropouts, and/or skipping.

Number one do you have actual legit recording software, if you are running cracked software all bets are off as far as proper function goes.

Next is what kind of condition is your computer in. If you have spyware it can eat up your computer's power and generally **************** things up. Even if you don't have spyware on your computer seemingly proper stuff like antivirus software can often get in the way of recording software working properly. Audio drivers get screwed up sometimes for a number of different reasons, reinstalling them often fixes recording issues. I've had my computer not running audio at all to speak of because of spyware, it didn't run right again until I got rid of the spyware and reinstalled the drivers for my interface.

A computer that has been running the same operating system for more than a year is highly suspect whether it will perform well. If your computer is a couple of years old has never had the operating system reinstalled and you expect audio to run well on it then you should do a reinstall.

I would be very sure of all that stuff before you go throwing RAM at what is probably not a RAM problem. Sure more RAM can sometimes be a good thing but if you can't run a track or two of audio it isn't your problem or the fix.

Comment

way to go that told us , why does cracked software give poor performance on an old computer.

Comment

why does cracked software give poor performance on an old computer.

I didn't say that.

What I am saying is that cracked software is an unknown, it might work ok or it might not. It's like buying street drugs rather than real pharmaceuticals you just don't necessarily know what it is that you are getting exactly.

Comment

you said "all bets are off as regards proper function" just thought you were gonna explain, anyway which drugs are you talking about.

Comment

I'm no expert on cracked software but it doesn't necessarily work proper.

Somebody who didn't write the program goes screwing with the programming to remove the protection, maybe they get that right maybe not. Maybe they even think it's amusing to write some other stuff into the program for you.

I'm just saying if you are having issues with your program not working proper and you are using cracked software the first place to start in my opinion would be running a legitimate piece of recording software.

Comment

Here is where things run in startup in the Windows Registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

and also .../RunServices

and in this location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

and .../RunServices

You really don't need anything it there except the "System Tray" and maybe wireless connectivity for automatic wireless networking. You could have a ton of stuff running in these locations.

I don't even use anti-virus software, but, I am not using Internet Explorer, I killed the scripting host, and I don't use IRC, MSFT-IM, AIM, or any other chat software. Now, the best anti-virus software would be either FPROT or ThunderByte (now called Norman Anti-Virus, like the Norman Conquest). You can run the software by right-clicking a file and checking it independently. As for spyware, don't use any cursor enhancements, web-based wallpaper, music or other file-trading software, or search bar enhancement stuff and you won't have to worry.

I hope this helps.

BTW... your architecture is fine. I suspect spyware and heavily fragmented hard drive.

A good trick is to setup your hard drive with a swap partition. We do that with Unix and Linux systems frequently. Point the swap file (virtual memory) to that partition and Windows will not fragment your drive.

Hope this helps you... sorry about the length. I wanted to be very specific to cover every scenario.
                    The secret of man's creative power is imagination.

Comment

• hiero
                      hiero commented
                      Editing a comment

For others reading through the posts in this thread and having Cubase LE4 problems, then I have the invaluable Video/DVD Tutorials for this for possible sale. Msg me for more info...

• WRGKMC
                      WRGKMC commented
                      Editing a comment

Crackling noise and the red indicator is a symptom of the latency/buffers set too low. The noise is created when there isn't enough time for the data to get properly buffered/saved in FIFO memory. The result is gaps in the data, dropouts, errors get saved instead of the musical data and the hardware plays it back as noise. By increasing latency the data has more time to get in the buffers before its written to disk or played back and increasing buffer size allows the memory to hold more data so it doesn't run out of data when its being transferred from one place to another.  

Older versions of Cubase had a hardware scan function. You'd click on the icon and it would scan the hardware and set the latency and buffers automatically for the best settings based on your hardware.

I'm not sure how the newer versions of Cubase or Le version does it. It may only run when you install the program, or it may install the the function some place in your audio options. Its important these settings are correct and they can be different for different computers. If you installed the program before you installed the hardware the buffers/latency may be defaulted to the computer hardware vs. the actual interface and USB port. If you can't find the hardware scan function try reinstalling the program.

The function/hardware setup application used to be in a file called ASIO. You would have to manually go into the C drive, open up programs, Steinberg, and you would find the ASIO folder. Once you open the folder there were two applications. One was called DFXD Setup and the other was WP setup. One of them let you run the automatic hardware setup.

Like I said, newer versions of Cubase may have changed but most DAW programs have some kind of hardware scan function. You just have to find it. Other DAW programs scan on installation and you manually tweak the settings as needed.

Other things that can cause the noise and dropouts are the USB port speed. Computer specs may say its a USB 2.0 port but the speed of the port can vary greatly. USB is a Master/Slave communication port and the CPU can interrupt the data flow from that port anytime the CPU resources get low to apply the processing to other tasks. PCI interfaces tie directly into the Buss and don't have that problem. Firewire uses a peer tp peer communication and will run in the background without dropouts.

Other items are where you store your wave files. On a desktop you can install multiple internal drives and have a separate drive for the wave files. This allows two separate sets of hard drive heads to run. One on your C drive can move as needed to run your operating system and programs and the other can run independently to write your audio data. Inportant note is if you only have one drive, you never want to save your audio data to a partition. The main drives heads cannot jump from partition to partition and read/write data that way. You can store finished projects to a partition but all current work must be moved to the Operating partition for them to run properly.

Next is having your computer optimized for audio. If you run your task manager, you can view all the programs running and view the resources they consume. The trick is to get as many programs running in the background shut down or removed. All those Icons running in the task bar suck CPU power. Internet, Antivirus, etc can be set for manual and only operate when you need them. Windows turns on all kinds of services so they run automatically when you boot to make them load faster when you run them.

First thing you can do is find your Run application. In Win 7 its listed under start, programs, accessories. Key in MSCONFIG. This will open a panel with tabs at the top. Click on the startup tab. Unclick everything that doesn't need to run. Leave your interface/audio ticked because you want your audio to boot up on startup.

After unticking them, you need to reboot. You will get a prompt screen that notifies you the items were shut off. You can tick the box so you don't see that screen when you reboot again.

Next you can set unneeded services running in the background to manual so they only run when you need them. This is more advanced stuff so its important you take screen shots of your current settings and print them out so you can set things back to factory settings if needed. "Do not disable any services" unless you are sure they are something that should never run like remote access and others. You can visit the "Black Viper" site and they have good step by step instructions for optimizing things. Don't try and do it on your own guessing. One service can be dependent on many others and disabling one can cause others not to startup and you can have the computer fail to boot.

Access services through your advanced tools. Do not shut down services through the MS config tool. The Black Viper site will tell you how to get in there depending on your operating system type. You can also Google up "optimizing a computer for audio"  and find allot of useful information.

There is a tool you can run before you begin called the DPC Latency tester that will help you troubleshoot audio problems. You can find it here:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Run this simple program and it will analyze your computer and see how well your computer can record audio. Any red spikes are an indication you have a problem. Things like network cards and programs running in the background can cause the spikes and cause your noise and dropouts. This tool can help you isolate your problems.

A good Quad core computer can give you a steady 10us average reading and give low latency recording. A dual core may give you 100us steady. A single core may be higher. You'll find the average reading is about the lowest you can set your DAW programs latency and not have noise/dropouts recording/playing back a single audio track. For safety sake, you want to set the DAW program latency higher than your lowest average reading running the DPC program. How much higher is pretty much trial and error. On older single core computers I'd often have to set them up to 1000ms or more to get maximum recording efficiency. That's no big deal because most interfaces have zero latency monitoring. It does make the DAW program and its meter reading sluggish but you do what you have to do to get things to run well.  Setting latency too high can also cause the digital noise with some interfaces. You just have to find the sweet spot between too low and too high making small tweaks till its right.

Lastly, make sure you keep your drive clean and tidy. Defragment before each new project and backup or remove old sessions. Get an external drive for storage or burn them to a CD/DVD. The more free and organized space on the drive the better. As a rule if you don't use a program within 3 months to a year it has no reason being on the drive. If you have the installation disk or program saved, remove it from the C drive. Same goes for all the junk programs you never use.

My DAWs come to full boot in about 30 seconds and shut down in about 10 seconds. That's because I removed all the junk that doesn't need to be on there. I have only my OS and my DAW programs. That's it. I can make a single core run faster than most dual cores with proper optimization. You have to decide what's absolutely essential and dump the junk. Of course if its the only computer you have then you have to decide what's best. I used to run a dual boot computer in those situations. One drive/os had all my internet, word processing etc and the other was stripped down designed to run my DAW only.

Anyway hope something here helps. There's a buttload of other possibilities hat can help troubleshoot and optimize the problem but I'd need to know more details. If you try some of these out and have no results then repost what you've tried.

You can also try downloading a DAW program like Reaper and see if it works. Its a low resource program and will run on the lamest computer with good results.

Yeah, the computer Im using is not dedicated to recording, and does have a lot of other files, but I am going to get a seperate computer to record, but not anytime in the near future.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;A penny saved is a penny earned. Unless it was someone else's penny, then you have to kinda give it back.&quot; <br />
                    -Arty Kica</div>

Comment

have you also got a decent sound card in your computer ,i`ve got emu 0404 pci card which works good when i`m using my music program , when i switch back to the computers sound card (realtek) it works for a while but then starts to crackle and pop you need a proper sound card .

Comment

Which audio driver are you using ? The ASIO one that ( hopefully) comes with Cubase or WDM? I think you have incorrect audio buffer settings. You have it set too low and it's killing the performance.

So, what are your settings under Audio Preferences or whatever Cubase calls it?
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font size="2"><br />
                        </font></font><font size="2"><br />
                        </font></div>

Comment

Working...
                        X