X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apogee Symphony i/o Vs Apogee Ensemble

How much of a difference would the Symphony i/o make over Ensemble in terms of quality? I have Ensemble and was wondering if I should upgrade sometime soon to Symphony i/o. Would it be advisable to spend the money on something else instead?

Also, do the converters make any difference when you are bouncing tracks? For example if you make a song using sounds or samples, loops already on the computer, would the converters make any quality enhancement?

This should be verified, but I suspect the converters and analog stages are the same.
    Todzilla
    HUGE sound generation & capture facility
    Eno River Basin

Comment

This should be verified, but I suspect the converters and analog stages are the same.

No, that's not true. They claim Symphony I/O to have the highest grade converters ever, even better than their Rosetta and X series boxes. Ensemble's converters are not as good as X/Rosetta series. My question is how much of a difference would these have on overall sound quality. I wish I could compare them by my ears rather than compare the specs by my eyes.

Comment

Nobody can tell you, because only a handful of people have even heard the Symphony I/O's. AFAIK, Apogee hasn't started shipping them yet.

-Dan.
        Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

Nobody can tell you, because only a handful of people have even heard the Symphony I/O's. AFAIK, Apogee hasn't started shipping them yet.

-Dan.

+1, even for the "-Dan" part
          The Signal Studio on MySpace

Download The Shapes's EP + 4 singles, FREE (I play drums in this band)
          Download Fist Of God's EP, FREE (I play guitar in this band)

Comment

Dans,

Mine was a more general question about converters. Of course I know very few people may have heard it. I am planning ahead hence the question.

Comment

How much of a difference would the Symphony i/o make over Ensemble in terms of quality? I have Ensemble and was wondering if I should upgrade sometime soon to Symphony i/o. Would it be advisable to spend the money on something else instead?

That depends on what your "everything else" currently looks like. If you're working at Blackbird, Skywalker, or the Record Plant every day, then maybe you could benefit by upgrading your converters if you really had a hankering. OTOH, if you're working in a garage w/ $500 worth of PG-series mics and a couple of Sony bookshelf speakers you got at Best Buy, then the Ensemble is more than adequate and your money is better spent elsewhere.

Also, do the converters make any difference when you are bouncing tracks?

No.

-Dan.
              Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

OTOH, if you're working in a garage w/ $500 worth of PG-series mics and a couple of Sony bookshelf speakers you got at Best Buy, then the Ensemble is more than adequate and your money is better spent elsewhere.

Thanks for your response but if I had these things, I wouldn't certainly be looking at gear worth 3500+ dollars! :-)

Anyway, so if you have good pres, good mics and a sound proofed room, how much of a difference will having highest grade converters make (compared to Ensemble, of course)? Tiny bit or considerable?

Comment

I'm from Hi Fi, and in old days, I (and most others) believed input and output are the first place we wanted to spend money. That means cartridge (input) and speakers (speakers) first. Then, preamp, and lastly main (power) amp. In between (probably before preamp), spend $ on room acoustic, if possible.

Same thing here (I believe) in recording world. I usually make some priority order like, first microphone (input), then speaker, preamp, and then converter (if I still have money left). But, preamp and converter are the downstream of input, so others may say more important than speaker. Anyway, microphone is the biggest factor to improve the quality of recordings, IMO.

So expensive ADC makes big difference? I don't think it does, in terms of sound quality. The difference is dynamic range and speed, but decent ADC less than $1000 already have pretty good quality, IMO.

Sorry, if this sounded a little snotty.
                  Gears: I don't know why I have so many gears that I don't need

Comment

It is totally worth it. Symphony io is amazing. Ensemble is great but not a dynamic and clear as symphony io. Recording on symphony io is a dream.
                    I own both of them so I think I have some leverage here.

Comment

This thread is old guy, I'm sure this question was figured out a while ago.
                      www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

• Todzilla
                        Todzilla commented
                        Editing a comment

Picking up an Apogee Symphony I/O 2 X 6 next week.

I'm assuming it will be an unbelievable upgrade from my MOTU 896HD.

Working...
                    X