Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Advice on Drum Mic Setup for Home Recording

Ideally, I would buy a kit that includes clips etc.....

I already have a Shure 57 (maybe snare or HH)and a Shure Beta 52 for kick drum.  Would a 3 mic Sennheiser e604 kit be a nice sounding option for toms?  I'm mostly recording rock music

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/sennheiser-e604-drum-microphone-3-pack

Solo Album

Oates- The mics you already have are great choices, and the one's you are considering for your toms are perfect for the "mix" you already have.

The price looks great as well.

D

Bringing the Harmony back to Harmony Central

Comment

What do you have for overheads?

Comment

Nothing for overheads yet
        Solo Album

Comment

• WRGKMC
          WRGKMC commented
          Editing a comment

Scan EBay for overheads and you can sometimes score a deal much cheaper than buying new. You find those drum mic kits broken up and sold independently all the time. I bought a pair of CAD CM217's for $25. You can buy two for one on sale for about $59 new here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/cad-cm217-condenser-mic--buy-one-get-one-free?src=3WWRWXGP

That have a low cut filter and the recording quality is very good for a small overhead condenser.

I also bought some of these Audio Technica MB5K's which I got for $20 each. http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Audio-Technica/MB-5k

Excellent snare/tom mics which I prefer over SM57's which I used to use on the snare. They have a contoured response that fits well in a mix and you don't have to do half as much EQing to get them to fit into a mix.

Drum mics suffer enough from phase issues due to proper placement. They sound better if you don't have to compound the problem with allot of EQing to get them to sound good. Some of your lower latency EQ plugins are Minimum phase. While these let you run multiple EQ plugins with a lower CPU load, they can cause signal phase issues if you have to EQ allot, and in the end your mix sounds all wierded out using them.

Your better EQ plugins are Linear Phase. These keep the signals in phase through latency compensation no matter how large the EQ bumps are. Problem is the better ones suck allot of CPU power and if you run these kind of EQ's on 8 tracks you may run out or resources. This makes EQing drums the most difficult instrument in a mix.

What I do to get around the problem if I do have to EQ the drums is to use a good EQ plugin Like Waves linear EQ and get the track sounding really good, save the EQ setting as a preset, then process/render the track with the plugin. I can then remove the plugin from the track and reduce the resources.

I always prefer the best technique which is to just get the best sound possible sound tracking which comes down to good mics, good room acoustics, proper micing techniques, well tuned drum set and a good drummer. I'm lucky because I bought a studio drum set which is always properly miced and tuned up. If I had to have a drummer come in each session and mic up his set, I'd wind up spending half the session just tweaking the drummers sound, and if like most drummer I know, they have little patience for getting their drums to sound good. God forbid if you have to tell them their drum tuning is off making the recording sound bad.  Good mics can fix a bad sounding set, they can only make the bad tuning/worn heads blatantly apparent. You have enough work to do fixing drum tracks after they are recorded.

Working...
      X