X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MXL 990

http://www.amazon.com/MXL-990-Condenser-Microphone-Shockmount/dp/B0002GIRP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363552499&sr=8-1&keywords=mxl+990

That one looks very good.

Comment

• WRGKMC
      WRGKMC commented
      Editing a comment

I like MXL's too but its impossible to judge what might be best for a persons voice never having heard that persons voice. All voices are different as are all mics, and even if the mic is a good match for that voice it takes time for a singer to develop the best techniques using that mic.

Many pro singers have favorite mics because, first they sound dame good, and second, they develop singing techniques based on a mics response. Frank Sinatra used a Neumann U47, Jim Morrison used a Electro Voice 676, Hendrix and David Bowie used  Beyerdynamic M-160, Foghat vocalist Dave Peverett used Shure mics exclusively for his sound, and so on.  

It may not even be the best mic in the mic locker. It may just be a choice that gives the singer a unique character to their voice.

Finding what might best for your voice does have to begin some place, so you simply have to take a chance based on all the reviews and opinions you can gather. I used an MIX for a number of years. I knew it wasn't the best choice for my own voice. It worked great on other singers voices, but my voice is not the best having sung live through bad PA systems for so many years. I used mostly Smog's and 58's singing live. Once I got into recording and started using condensers it was a matter of cost and what I could afford. I also had to retrain my voice to sing through a good mic too.

I really liked the Sennheiser MD421II mic when I had a pair back in the 80's recording analog. They are still a great mic today. I liked the 5-position bass roll-off switch which was real handy. The SM7 which is another great studio choice has a similar feature.

Unfortunately most of your budget condensers under $100 aren't super. They have generic tone and quality and though they are good for learning and can give you some demo quality sound, they lack what is needed to get a voice sounding really good. Still like I said, you have to start some place and it makes no sense to spend allot on a mic before you have same idea what you're going for. There are some characteristics of a budget MXL that's there in the better models the same way as a Marshall 10 watt practice amp has some of the tone a nice plexi version has, but theres a big jump in overall quality as you move up to a better model.

If you can save a little more and buy a mic in the $300 range, every dime is worth it and you may never have to buy another. At least if you do the mic can be great for any other task you may use it for.

I been using Electro-Voice PL84 Handheld Condensers for recording and live vocals lately. I get a better sound for my voice then allot of my other mics for the rock stuff I do. They are a $250 mic and I snagged 4 of them new for $40 each. I bought one because I had a real old EV condenser I really liked. After getting the first one and trying it out, I knew they were exactly what I needed so I bought 3 more so I'd have all matching mics for the PA and I'd have them for recording too.

There are deals out there but you have to narrow down your preferences, at least by brand owning their lower end models to find the flavors you like. 

I have one CAD large diaphram condencer in my mic locker. Bought it used but I'm guessing it sold for under $200 new. Its ok and has a full frequency response without any notable frequency bumps. The MXL I have is in the same budget range and and when compared side by side tracking with both at the same time, produces a nearly identical sound. The MXL seems to have a little better response. I wouldnt be surprised if they both had the same diaphram inside as do many of the imports.  

Comment

Working...
    X