Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember the BOSS BR-8? Frustration with hte ZIP 100MB thing.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember the BOSS BR-8? Frustration with hte ZIP 100MB thing.

This is a good place to share a not-so-great experience with an expensive piece of gear I bought around ten years ago. A BOSS BR-8. Remember those? Well, they came equipped with the most stupid ZIP 100MB disk writer/reader that could fit only one song if you used all the tracks and effects (I mean, 100MB!!!! :facepalm: ). The stupid thing is that it was a great little portable studio but the way it stored the data makes it so obsolete, it has joined my old Yamaha 4track cassette recorder in the attic. If BOSS had any morale they would offer a way to convert the ZIP thing to SD card and record in wav. format instead of the weird outwordly format it uses. That was incredibly short sighted of BOSS to put that on the market and it sold at the time for around $800 being the new hot thing on the market.

How can I make it usuable with that super tiny and awkward ZIP disc and weird format?

The only way I can think of is to "monitor" the signal out of the br8 direct to a digital recorder using the BR-8 basically as an effect processer but then all the features of the machine as a portable studio are useless.

Does anyone know if BOSS addressed this at one point?

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Thats the problem with stand alones. To upgrade requires buying a whole different unit. Those units were made at a time when the technology was changing rapidly, and all digital recorders were very expensive. the better ones had an actual hard drive, and built in CD burner, but the cost was probibly a couple of grand.  Zip drives are a dead technology now. About all you can do is either find an older computer that will take a zip drive and use it to transfer files. You can convert the zip files to wave files with that unit so they can be used in a regular DAW. It also has an optical connection for direct file transfer which is what I'd use. You can still buy interfaces with a direct optical connection so the process shouldnt be too difficult. 

Comment

• Jkater
      Jkater commented
      Editing a comment

WRGKMC wrote:

Thats the problem with stand alones. To upgrade requires buying a whole different unit. Those units were made at a time when the technology was changing rapidly, and all digital recorders were very expensive. the better ones had an actual hard drive, and built in CD burner, but the cost was probibly a couple of grand.  Zip drives are a dead technology now. About all you can do is either find an older computer that will take a zip drive and use it to transfer files. You can convert the zip files to wave files with that unit so they can be used in a regular DAW. It also has an optical connection for direct file transfer which is what I'd use. You can still buy interfaces with a direct optical connection so the process shouldnt be too difficult. 

Thanks!

I figure this unit is now good solely as a preamp for the cool presets and effects running the signal to an external recorder/DAW and not using the unit as a recorder itself. So turning it into an effect processor basically.

Working...
X