Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the specs to look for in a laptop for recording?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the specs to look for in a laptop for recording?

Inspired by the other home recording thread.

I'm looking at buying a laptop for home studio purposes and a desktop is not an option (well I already have one in a spot that doesn't work well as home studio).

Which aspects / specs should I look for in a laptop and how do I manage large files with it?

Thanks!

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

At least a dual core and a very large drive. Max out the memory and be sure it has the ports you need for connection. You want to get an external drive for backing up projects as well.

I suggest you check the requirements for the DAW system you plan on running too and make sure you aren't trying to install the DAW on a system that barely meets the requirements. Some DAW programs like Reaper will run on most computer, but some of your better programs require minimal hardware to even install. Most of your better programs like Pro tools used to require a second internal hard drive for writing wave files to keep the main drive free to run at maximum speed.

Since a laptop only has one internal drive and runs less efficiently, I suggest you tag on a 30% increase to a laptops specs to meet a daw programs minimum requirements then even more to be efficient at recording. Running a DAW program at minim requirements is bog city for a computer. It installs, it runs, but using multiple instances of high CPU resource plugins makes the thing run poorly and becomes most frustrating.

Comment

• Jkater
      Jkater commented
      Editing a comment

WRGKMC wrote:

At least a dual core and a very large drive. Max out the memory and be sure it has the ports you need for connection. You want to get an external drive for backing up projects as well.

I suggest you check the requirements for the DAW system you plan on running too and make sure you aren't trying to install the DAW on a system that barely meets the requirements. Some DAW programs like Reaper will run on most computer, but some of your better programs require minimal hardware to even install. Most of your better programs like Pro tools used to require a second internal hard drive for writing wave files to keep the main drive free to run at maximum speed.

Since a laptop only has one internal drive and runs less efficiently, I suggest you tag on a 30% increase to a laptops specs to meet a daw programs minimum requirements then even more to be efficient at recording. Running a DAW program at minim requirements is bog city for a computer. It installs, it runs, but using multiple instances of high CPU resource plugins makes the thing run poorly and becomes most frustrating.

Thanks WRGKMC. I was hoping you'd chip in! Good news from your post is I use now Reaper and will stick to that one as my DAW of choice. when I started looking at Laptop pc's recently, I found that some had really large drive 750 GB and One thing I have been wondering for audio purposes is the speed of the harddrive. some have 5,400 (insert what this is: Turn per minute?) and some 7,200 (probably got the number wrong). How much of this factor is, well, a factor? Are external drive usable for working from them into the Laptop or are they for storage only? In other words, must I transfer audio data to the ex. drive to make room on the Laptop as soon as a project is done with? seems like a good idea just asking the question.

So a laptop, while not the best can work for me? I'm just a hobby musician with some hope of recording good projects that will use possibly a lot of tracks but no terribly complicated plug-ins and whatnot. as you probably can sense, I am a n00b at this. My thing is more playing than recording but I really want to get to the latter.

P.S: I saw your reply in the other thread. Much appreciated.
Working...
X