X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GarageBand '11 and buffer size

Hello all, just wondering if anyone with GarageBand '11 knows how to increase the buffer size? I'm trying to record multiple tracks at once but I'm getting those clicks and pops present when using a low buffer size (I think). Any help on this topic is much appreciated! 

Not sure how its done with Garage band and a mac but you want to increase the latency setting. The setting can usually be found within the Interface driver settings. It may install with a low latency setting and it can't keep up with the data flow.

So long as you don't attempt to record in real time using a guitar modeled plugin, you can adjust the latency up high to avoid the clicks and pops caused by the inability of FIFO memory to stack up binary data. Increasing insures the memory isn't getting sucked dry for data and filling in gaps/stutters when the incoming data isn't getting into memory fast enough. 

The settings are usually set in increments of  8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 etc. If the latency has a default of 256, try 1024 or 2048. You want to find the next nearest setting where the pops stop. Going too high can cause similar noise as with the settings being too low.

Most interfaces have zero or near zero latency monitoring for recording so you wont hear the increased latency unless you're trying to listen to the processed signal tracking. If you use mics to track there's no need to hear the processed signal till you mix. The only drawback you'll have with an increased increased latency setting is the meters will move before you actually hear the sound on playback, and the DAW controls/sliders will have a delayed response. That's still no big deal for most if it means you can record dozens of tracks and use multiple plugins. 

If you still can't get it to work, try a better DAW program. Something like Reaper runs on a Mac I believe and it uses low CPU consumption for its plugins. Then if you notice dropouts with multiple plugins you can always render the effects to the tracks once you have a good preset to reduce the load, thereby removing it from running it in the effects cue.  

Comment

• Ethalopian
      Ethalopian commented
      Editing a comment

Thanks, this answer might be very helpful, I'll have to try it when I'm home next.  I know you said you're not familar with GarageBand but you've mentioned Reaper so would you know how to do it through Reaper, if it's done this way?

Ethalopian wrote:

Hello all, just wondering if anyone with GarageBand '11 knows how to increase the buffer size? I'm trying to record multiple tracks at once but I'm getting those clicks and pops present when using a low buffer size (I think). Any help on this topic is much appreciated! 

Within Logic Pro?

Using an audio interface or the onboard sound?

Comment

• Ethalopian
      Ethalopian commented
      Editing a comment

No, within GarageBand, I don't have/can't afford Logic . I'm using an audio interface, but I'm mainly using an Aggregate Device to connect multiple USB microphones/Audio Interfaces/Line-In to Mac for use on different channels in GarageBand.

Working...
X