X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggested cd duplication services?

My band is a local band and we will be completing a cd soon, we are fairly popular around here and we want to get some pro cd duplication done. We need possibly 100-200 copies give or take in jewel cases.

Any companies that are highly recommended, keeping in mind we are a local band with a not so huge budget? thanks!

but wait! I seem to have stumbled across a nice one....

http://www.promocds.net/sale.php

and if anybody else happened to be wondering the same thing, check that out.

Comment

www.diskfaktory.com does some of the best short-run work I've seen AND at the best prices I've seen.

KEEP IN MIND that your copies can only be as good as your original - An error-certified RedBook production master is a must - They (as most short-run places) don't verify PQ codes or check for E22 (C2) errors. If your disc has them, your copies will be worse.

There's a Disc Errors page on my site if you're not familiar. Also a page about the importance of RedBook standards.

[EDIT] Wow, LL... Those are some good prices... [/EDIT]
      John Scrip Massive Mastering
      Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

MASSIVE Mastering -- johnscrip.com
      And mucking up the Mastering forum at StudioForums.com

Comment

hi all,

This is Brian from www.promocds.net

Noticed a bit of traffic to the website from this thread, so I thought I would check it out.

We specialize in short-run cd duplication and have some really great prices.

Come on by and check out the website.

I will beat all prices, including diskfaktory's 100 cds for $79 sale price, if you email and let me know you saw my post here.

brian@promocds.net

I'm also on AIM throughout the day - PROMOCDs814, and often in the evenings too. So feel free to IM or email me anytime.

Comment

OK.

Keep in mind that both of these places use CDRs, not stamped (commercial) CDs. It's true that digital is digital, and that CDRs will sound the same as commercially made CDs. BUT - CDRs will occasionally have trouble in some players, particularly car stereos, and CDRs scratch much more easily than stamped CDs. CDRs left in bright sunlight will also degrade. You get what you pay for.

Also, inkjet printed CDRs can, at best, be water resistant. What this means is that the color may run or smudge if they get wet. That might mean as little as someone with wet or sweaty hands handling one.

Dye sub printing is truly waterproof, but can cost a little more and looks a little different.

Ultimately, if you can afford it, there is no substitute for pressed CDs that are screen printed. Nothing else looks the same, and some radio stations will not play CDRs. If you sell your CD commercially, be prepared for some returns if you use CDRs.

Pressed CDs are actually cheaper per unit, but require a larger minimum run.

Depending on how many CDs you plan to make, you can make the CDRs yourself if you plan to go that route. A CD burner is now about $100 (if you already have a PC), and Epson makes photo quality CD printers that will print directly onto a printable surface CD, also for about $100.

An alternative I use for my short run customers is to color laser print onto a transparent label. This looks better than an ink jet print and the color will not run. Avery clear laser labels are available for this purpose and stay on very well. I got one back from a soldier who put hers through hell in Iraq. The CD still played, and the label was still on, but it looked pretty beat up.

Hope this helps.

Terry D.
          Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

CDRs are generally the only option for short-run quantities.

Most CD companies only offer pressed CDs with quantities of 1000 or more (some will for 500)

Brian
            www.promocds.net

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrKnobs
              OK.

An alternative I use for my short run customers is to color laser print onto a transparent label. This looks better than an ink jet print and the color will not run. Avery clear laser labels are available for this purpose and stay on very well. I got one back from a soldier who put hers through hell in Iraq. The CD still played, and the label was still on, but it looked pretty beat up.

Hope this helps.

Terry D.
              [/QUOTE

So MrKnobs, do you provide a duplication service yourself?]

Comment

After doing more research, I really would prefer Pressed CDs, but we could never afford getting 500 cds or so.

So what would be the best way to be certain that our CD-R will be as compatible as we can possibly make it? The only problem I have with CD-Rs is that they normally dont play in car cd players, which is very important to me, most people listen to cds in thier cars. So are there things I can do when burning the CD-R's to try and prevent them from not playing as often? Such as burning at a certain speed, and I know it would be a good idea to use very high quality CD-R's, what else?

And this question is for Promocds, what kind of CD-R's do you use, are they high quality ones? Would I still have problems with the cds not playing in cars and stuff If you did the duplication for me?

Comment

Originally posted by MASSIVE Master
                  www.diskfaktory.com does some of the best short-run work I've seen AND at the best prices I've seen.

KEEP IN MIND that your copies can only be as good as your original - An error-certified RedBook production master is a must - They (as most short-run places) don't verify PQ codes or check for E22 (C2) errors. If your disc has them, your copies will be worse.

There's a Disc Errors page on my site if you're not familiar. Also a page about the importance of RedBook standards.

[EDIT] Wow, LL... Those are some good prices... [/EDIT]

Massive Master, I read your article on Disc Errors and found it very helpful! I think I am actually going to buy a Plextor Premium Cd Drive now!! I need one anyways and it looks like it performs very well. Now my question is would that drive be suitible for doing the duplication process on my own? I only need about 100 cds, and since that drive burns with so few errors, would that mean that the CD-Rs have a better chance of playing in a wider variety of cd players? Also what is a good burning software that I could use to burn to Redbook standards? Thanks!

Comment

The Plextor PWP runs at up to 52X (although I never go above 16X for anything), so it's a formidable duplication drive. Obviously you're not going to check every copy, but get into the habit of checking every 5th or 6th or so... They'll never be as good as the original, but they still shouldn't show any C2 or CU errors.

CD Architect, WaveLab... I was reading something recently about a really inexpensive (seemingly) RedBook burning software... It was like $50... I'll see if I can dig that up.

Comment

There's something about the CDR/redbook thing I don't quite get. I have the ability to burn "redbook" cds in samplitude, but these still won't play on my late-90's high-end CD player. I wonder if there's some difference in the media itself that the player can't sort out.

(Seems to me that my fancy CD player is just about the last device on earth that won't play CDRs. From the beginning of CDRs, most budget and mid-market CD players would take them -- you pretty much paid extra to not have that feature. Now, even the most expensive CD players will play CDRs.)
                      Datta. Dayadhvam. Damyata.

Comment

Can someone give us some names of programs that will burn in redbook format and how much they cost?
                        Monthly Podcast: http://fuzzballrecordsradio.tk/

Or Quixotic Rage myspace info here

Band web page: http://JMBess.googlepages.com/home

Studio web page:http://JMBess.googlepages.com/fuzzballrecords

Great trades with: Stazinish, Silverring233, sirkonks, Facing Failure, yuantian, simplestargazer, Juan M, jcloud, and you can check my ebay account for more!

Comment

Sony CD Architect - I've seen it for as low as $200.

Steinberg WaveLab - Wonderful, and still worth it at around $600.

Personally, I think everyone should have CD architect and a Plextor... If they did, it would take away a nice chunk of my business (RedBook CD transfers), but that's the part of the business I don't really give a hoot about.

Comment

Massive master...(or anyone else)what's you'r opinion of this...http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-STE-WLABESS.html Does this seem like a good deal,or is it too watered down from the full version..??I think I would prefer the pressed CD's as well...any recommendations..??I did a search,and a ton of places came up...
                            Amps:Peavey 5150/Mesa Dual Rectifier
                            Cabs:Mesa Recto 2x12/Mesa Recto 4x12
                            Guitars:ESP Eclipse II FM/ESP Eclipse II ACSB/ESP Viper BLK
                            Misc:FURMAN AR-1215/FURMAN P-1800 PF
                            Pedals:Maxon OD808/ISP Decimator G-String/Korg Pitchblack/MXR ZW38/Dunlop ZW45

Comment

Has anyone used this place before..?? http://www.yesbuy.net/comprescd10.html
                              Amps:Peavey 5150/Mesa Dual Rectifier
                              Cabs:Mesa Recto 2x12/Mesa Recto 4x12
                              Guitars:ESP Eclipse II FM/ESP Eclipse II ACSB/ESP Viper BLK
                              Misc:FURMAN AR-1215/FURMAN P-1800 PF
                              Pedals:Maxon OD808/ISP Decimator G-String/Korg Pitchblack/MXR ZW38/Dunlop ZW45

Comment

Working...
                              X