Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Digital Audio Production Software do you use?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Digital Audio Production Software do you use?

- What Digital Audio Production Software do you use?

- What is you Operating System?

- In 64-bit mode do your 32-bit Plug-Ins work?

- All 32-bit Plug-Ins?

- Which 32-bit Plug-In do no work in 64-bit mode?

I use 64bit Reaper 4.x in Windows 7 Home Premium. I had a little trouble at first with some 32 bit plugins, but all was solved by setting up separate VST folders for my 32bit and 64bit plugins, and then pointing Reaper to both locations.

I don't have a crazy amount of plugins though, I'd imagine it'd be a pain to split them up for someone who has hundreds of existing plugins installed. Some you could just move the dll file; others you had to re-install.

Bottom line: Reaper's bit bridge seems to work very well.

>>>Click here for my list of smooooov deals!

Comment

• WRGKMC
      WRGKMC commented
      Editing a comment

I'm running Win 7  on one DAW and Vista on another. Both are 32 bit. I can upgrade the one to 64 bit and will likely do that next time I reformat a drive, but I'm in no hurry. Setting up a DAW takes me weeks to tweak everything up the way I want it and I'm only going to do it when I have to.

Out of the two, my Vista box is much faster and reliable. Its just a faster computer with a better chipset. Even its USB port is faster than the others. It came with Vista when I bought it and mainly used it for mastering and home computing. Vista was a dog when it was first released and I had several issues with getting it to run well. Things like indexing, security windows, and bloatware made it a dog.

Since Win 7 came out, they applied updates to the Vista OS and if you care to spend 8 hours downloading and restarting the thing to load all the updates, its just as good as Win7 for stability. There are a bunch of things like Aero you can shut down an make it run more efficient as well. I actually prefer the GUI and classic menus over the scroll menus of Win 7 but I'm used to both so there's no bother to me using either.

For DAW programs, I mainly use Sonar and Cubase. I do Have Pro Tools, Adobe, Reaper, and a bunch of other older and free ones. All work, all can do the same jobs and have their merits and faults. For me its just a matter of what's comfortable to use and therefore most productive. I've used cakewalk stuff going way back and found it the most comfortable coming from an analog background mixed with my familiarity of how Microsoft does things. I didn't have to relearn allot of stuff and menus operate pretty much how Microsoft does things.

I can do most of the same things with other systems, It just takes a bit more digging. Cubase for example may call some things by different names and have different menu arrangements. Much of Europe drives on the opposite side of the road and has the steering wheel on the right side too. Maybe some of that menu format is due to that as well. Brings up a question. What would a GUI menu for an Arabic or even china wind up being since they may read right to left and up and down?

Anyway, the differences between systems is getting smaller and most function well on even your low end gear. It still comes down to being a tool to do a job, and the quality of the tool sufficient in building most projects if the one swinging the hammer knows how to use it well.

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
      Editing a comment

rog951 wrote:

I use 64bit Reaper 4.x in Windows 7 Home Premium. I had a little trouble at first with some 32 bit plugins, but all was solved by setting up separate VST folders for my 32bit and 64bit plugins, and then pointing Reaper to both locations.

Bottom line: Reaper's bit bridge seems to work very well.

That seem to work with most 64-bit digital audio production software running on Windows 7.

My son said that the 32-bit and 64-bit Plug-Ins could be in the same folder, but default wise the Plug-ins install in the 32-bit or 64-bit folders.

I've used FL-Studio ever since "Fruity Loops" version 3, currently on a 64-bit WinVista computer, . I was also using Cubase VST-32 on my old computer (Win98se, my custom-built music warhorse for almost a decade) but couldn't bring it over to my new 64-bit computer and the upgrade offer had long since expired. But FL had since added audio recording which was good enough to get me to use it exclusively. I had problems with one 32-bit plug-in synth (Steinberg's Model-E, a Moog Model-D unofficial clone from over a decade ago) but otherwise no problems switching from 32- to 64-bit.

The technical history of the three albums listed in my signature (in three different genres: Electro, Guitar Blues and Classical Crossover!) is as follows:

Happy Techno Robots - "My Head is Full of Electricity" - genre: Electro - This album was made in FL-Studio on my old 32-bit computer and had random use of Model-E so trying to open up any of these songs on my new computer will not work properly. I can replace Model-E with something else but it won't sound the same. Someone wanted an instrumental version of the song "Hyperspace" so I fired up my old computer (still connected with a KVM switch) and did the work there.

HorrorVox - "Blues for a Zombie" - genre: Guitar Blues - This album was recorded in FL-Studio on my 64-bit computer. The guitars were recorded dry and processed with plug-ins for mixdown. I used free amp modeling software that proved to be unstable once a project became complex so, in some cases, I printed the guitar sound to an audio track before adding more effects for mixdown. I went back and made instrumental versions (removing the "Night of the Living Dead" audio clips) easily. The bass is, in many cases, the freeware plug-in synth "Taurus" (another Moog clone).

Baroque Now - "The Bach Album" - genre: Classical Crossover (Baroque recorder and synthesizer) - This album was recorded in Cubase VST-32 on my old computer and, being inspired by the Moog sounds of Switched-On Bach, made exclusive use of Steinberg's Model-E. As such, it can only exist on that computer in its finished state. I've considered making "Music Minus One" arrangements for the recorder community and would have to do it on that computer.

I'm hoping to have the time to write and record another album this year and, yes, I now have a *real* Moog so 32-/64-bit shouldn't be a concern there.

Hope this gives some perspective.

My Bandcamp AlbumsHappy Techno Robots - Electro By And For RobotsHorrorVox - Blues for ZombiesBaroque Now - Classical crossover (recorder/synthesizer)My Music Web SitesRobots Music BlogBaroque Now Official PageAkai EWI4000s, 1991 MIM Fender Stratocaster, Alto Recorder at Baroque Pitch (1994, Jean-Luc Boudreau), Moog Little Phatty, FL-Studio, etc.

Comment

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
      Editing a comment

My son has a Windows 7 laptop which runs all audio productions at 64-bit in FL Studio, and all 32-bit plug-ins work fine.

I don't know if the latest Nuendo 6 can run 32-bit plugins in a 64-bit Nuendo 64-bit environment.

It is of course important to upgrade to Windows 7 and 64-bit, not at least to access more RAM.

I run Digital Performer 8.03 on a Mac running Lion (10.7.2, I think).

I run it in 64 bit mode with NI Komplete plugs. Not sure if these plugins are 64 bit (I think so), but everything works like a champ.

I chose DP since I had extensive experience with its MIDI only precursor, Performer.

I love it, but acknowledge there are 5 to 7 DAWs out there that are all ridiculously endowed, DP being one.

Todzilla
    HUGE sound generation & capture facility
    Eno River Basin

Comment

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
      Editing a comment

I am happy now since my moniker is purple !!!

Working...
X