Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording audio for video production

My friends whom I share an office with run a video business, and they want me to help set up some of their audio stuff. Currently, they do a lot of weddings, and they've asked me to find out some good microphone choices.

Basically they are considering a 5 mic setup, stereo front and back, and one mic to pick up all the talking between the couple and the minister.

What types of mics/polar patterns would be best for this type of situation?

Basically the goal is to get all the important speech, background music, and some good room ambience, but minimize unwanted noise.

One other thing is that at least the front 3 mocrophones probably need to be wireless, or compatible with a wireless system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

First they have to decide what video camera model they use for taping a wedding.

Only the high priced high definition camera can record 5 audio channels.

Comment

• DanBAP
      DanBAP commented
      Editing a comment

Rudolf von Hagenwil wrote:

First they have to decide what video camera model they use for taping a wedding.

Only the high priced high definition camera can record 5 audio channels.

You can record to a separate deck and lay the audio back onto the video in post.

jimash wrote:

Toatally not worth the trouble.

I edit weddings. Frequently recorded on $20,000 HD cameras with at least 4 channel audio.

One good switchable pattern mic on cam ( Maybe a stereo mic). One good ( shure? AT ?) wireless, pinned to the groom.

Synthesize the rest when making the DVD. The one on the groom is the only important thing.

Get the vows you're golden, lose the vows because you were futzing with 4 other channels, you are dead.

Weddings are already highly produced affairs that you have to insert yourself into intrusively just to get any good video at all. Adding another layer of complexity, is not really called for.

This, though I don't like stereo mics on a camera - at all. 

I think they'd be better off finding ways to hide more mics on or near the couple. The groom is easy, but the bride isn't. This is just a thought, but it may be worth investigating techniques broadway and film engineers use to hide microphones.

Regarding the stereo mics in the room, what are they going to pick up with those? Just a bunch of people coughing and shuffling around in their seats.

-Dan.

Toatally not worth the trouble.

I edit weddings. Frequently recorded on $20,000 HD cameras with at least 4 channel audio.

One good switchable pattern mic on cam ( Maybe a stereo mic). One good ( shure? AT ?) wireless, pinned to the groom.

Synthesize the rest when making the DVD. The one on the groom is the only important thing.

Get the vows you're golden, lose the vows because you were futzing with 4 other channels, you are dead.

Weddings are already highly produced affairs that you have to insert yourself into intrusively just to get any good video at all. Adding another layer of complexity, is not really called for.

Fender-TeleSonic Tele Elite, ProJr, 75Amp, '67 Bassman w/212 cab
    Gretsch- 71 Nashville, 2003 New Nashville
    Gibson- 76 LP '55 model
    BC Rich- 1977 Koa Eagle deluxe
    Martin- 1972 D-35
    Mesa Boogie-Subway Blues w/12" EVM 12L-F cab.
    Assorted fun toys and boxes of joy.
    "Many are cold, few are frozen"

Comment

They are recording to a hard disk recorder. They've already been doing this for a while and they want to upgrade their audio. It's not my trouble; it's theirs.

Let me emphasize, they are basically offering me a job (to set up the audio recording for each event) an paying for all the gear.

So with that in mind, tell me what mics I should look into.

Also, weddings are just one aspect of what they do, they've also done live music, performance, and advertising pieces. So versatility is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
    X