Harmony Central Forums
No announcement yet.

E-MU 1212m Showing Input, but not in software

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-MU 1212m Showing Input, but not in software

I've been askign around in just about every message board I know of and emailing a rep from Creative. So far, no luck. Here goes....

My old computer had Win 7 64-bit. I just built a new computer. Same operating system. 

My signal path is really simple. Microphone to Beringer mixer out a 1/4" cable into the mono input on the 1212m card. I used this for years on my old computer.

So, when I open the PatchMix DSP program you have to use with E-MU it is registering the volume input. I have reset it to every sort of Default in the DSP program imaginable. Nothing registers in recording software or in video games.

What is realllyyy weird is that if I set my inputs in the recording software to ASIO then I can record and stuff. I guess I could just get used to doing that, but something is definitely not set right.

..... Any ideas???? I can post screenshots or whatever if you guys have suggestions. Thanks in advance for reading guys.

Live til you die.

Not sure by your description where your signal chain is bottlenecked, but I believe its similar to My M-Audio 1010 cards.

If you know you have an analog signal passing through your mixer and its feeding the interface vcard successfully, the next stop is the interface cards driver panel which I believe you are describing as being a DSP type mixer with all your input and output adjustments. It may have the bit rates and clock settings as well.

If it also has input and output meters and levels, and the input meters are moving, then Your drivers are likely setup properly, and you then have to move to the DAW settings to properly connect to the interface drivers.

"There's one key item I suspect can be the cause of your problem" I stumbled over it every time I set up a new OS with my cards. The win mixer in win 7 will dominate the audio connections and point it towards the built in sound card.

You have to go into windows audio mixer and connect the right sound card so both the record and playback  goes through the proper interface ins and outs. This should get you operational for recording and playing back through the interface.

From there, you have to set the audio options up in the DAW for the card. This may be an identical setup to your old computer but its new hardware and you have to rewire the hardware to run properly with the software. Some DAW programs like Sonar and Cubase has button the sets the hardware up for you. It will go out, find your interface and checks its buffer and latency settings. From there you still have to tell the program what the bit rate is and what inputs and outputs you'll be using. The diagnostic, checks to see what you have available, but it doesn't make connections for you.

Lastly, the interface bit rates must match the DAW program. If you opened up a file that's set for say 24/48, and the interface ASIO is set for 24/44.1, The DAW program wont produce sound, and no meters will move. The two must match and the proper input/output card channels must be selected.

There's some other stuff too, but you need to get things wired through soft switches so you can get both playback and recording. I usually set up a song to playback first, then move on to the recording. If I have one, then I have to have the other.

My guess its the stupid way they wired up the win mixer. If you installed the interface card before you set up the drivers, and windows plug and play didn't recognize the device properly, you may need to remove the card, deinstall the drivers, then reinstall the drivers, then install the card so windows plug and play recognizes it, then point the plug and play prompts to the proper driver you just installed.

I know about this problem because I thought I'd set up win 7 with my cards already installed. I ran into this mixer issue and the interface connectivity was flakey because windows kept wanting to connect to the built in sound card. I eventually disabled the on board sound card in Bios, the did what I described above and its been rock solid since.

The only other things would be is if you are running an older card that doesn't have 64 bit drivers or its setup to run 32 bit drivers in a 32 bit mode. Be sure you downloaded the latest drivers off the net and didn't just use a disk that came with the card. A 64 bit system is useless if both your card drivers and DAW program aren't running 64 bit and you have to be in one mode or the other. You can't be running a 64 bit DAW program on a 32 bit card driver. Either both are 64 or 32 to run properly.     

• aeonrevolution
      aeonrevolution commented
      Editing a comment

Ooh! Wow. Thanks man. I'm going to try that now. (I was outta town :smiley-music021: )