Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready to buy a laptop for recording... please help..

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to buy a laptop for recording... please help..

Hi guys, I came here with this question before but I need to ask again.

What are the specs and components i need for a laptop to work well for music multitrack recording (I use Reaper mostly) and have an USB audiobox 22vsl as an audio interface.

I must go PC because of budget (around $1000) and I have no choice but go with W8 because 7 is no longer available. I heard of some laptop having two hard drive one rotating and one like a flash kind. Any advantage to this? And the hard drive should be 7,200 rpm or so I heard.

you have already figured out by now that I am a n00b so, please, give me some specs so I can know what to ask the guy at the shop and not invest in the wrong machine.

Can I plug my usb 2.0 A/I into a usb 3.0 slot and is there any advantage to that?

Can I buy an external usb3.0 hard drive and work from it so as to not fill my internal drive too quickly?

Is i5 enough or should I go for i7? (I don't play video games at all. This will be only for music and maybe simple video editing)

Thank you very much for your help.

I re-read my older thread where WRGKMC and Rudolph gave me great tips but I'm hoping to generate more inputs and detailed aspects to check out or avoid, etc. I'm a bit concerned about buying the wrong thing and be stuck with it. I'm also a bit pissed that I can't buy W7. W8 seems designed for touch screen stuff. What the hell with that?

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

A USB 2.0 device will work on a USB 3.0 port. Its just not going to run any more efficiently than it does on a 2.0 port

You can modify and optimize win 8 function like win 7 including the menu and desktop GUI.

You can get an external drive for your laptop for backup.

A faster 7200 internal drive is recommended over the 5400 because a laptop tends to spin down a drive, as well as allot of other functions when the machine is idle to save power. Most come with the 7200 anyway so its no big deal finding one. Faster drive means the computer has a faster buss speed and will provide lower recording latency.

Not sure you can successfully track wave files to a USB backup drive while tracking with a USB device. USB is a master slave device, not a peer to peer like firewire is. You may experience dropouts trying to use both USB devices at the same time. No big deal though, you can just keep your current project on your C drive till its done then back it up to the external drive.

Comment

• Jkater
      Jkater commented
      Editing a comment

WRGKMC wrote:

A USB 2.0 device will work on a USB 3.0 port. Its just not going to run any more efficiently than it does on a 2.0 port

You can modify and optimize win 8 function like win 7 including the menu and desktop GUI.

You can get an external drive for your laptop for backup.

A faster 7200 internal drive is recommended over the 5400 because a laptop tends to spin down a drive, as well as allot of other functions when the machine is idle to save power. Most come with the 7200 anyway so its no big deal finding one. Faster drive means the computer has a faster buss speed and will provide lower recording latency.

Not sure you can successfully track wave files to a USB backup drive while tracking with a USB device. USB is a master slave device, not a peer to peer like firewire is. You may experience dropouts trying to use both USB devices at the same time. No big deal though, you can just keep your current project on your C drive till its done then back it up to the external drive.

Thanks WRGKMC,

Gee, I'm flabbergasted at your generosity to share your impressive knowledge. Everywhere I look on this forum, you provide detailed and accurate answers to just about any question people have. If you wrote a book on those subjects (Maybe you did, you have to talent to do it), please let me know where i can order it! 

Yeah I'm very close to buying that laptop but i also saw your point in another thread about starting with good monitors and I must say I have very poor quality monitors at the moment. maybe I should look into that.

Working...
X