Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Yamaha THR 10 w/ Sonar 8.5 Producer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha THR 10 w/ Sonar 8.5 Producer

Hi,

I'm using a Yamaha THR 10 usb'd to a laptop running Sonar Producer 8.5 and am trying to get it configured to recognize the stereo output pairs put out from the THR. When I select track inputs, it appears that I only get one side of each stereo pair - one (L) of the processed guitar sound and one (DI 1) of the simultaneously output direct out.  It does give me ability to select left and right of each of the inputs, though so I'm wondering if it's just a naming issue. Functionally, it works as I'm able to get the processed and direct sounds together.

When using the device setup of Cubase Elements, however, I see the properly named THR Guitar R and THR Guitar L as well as THR DI 1 and THR DI 2 in the device list.

Thanks,

Norm

USB connection provides 2 channels of recording/playback to/from your computer. I'm guessing those are your THR DI 1/2 - and THR Guitar R/L.

When you first install Cakewalk you should have your recording device properly connected and running and Sonar should see the device properly when you install the program. If you had another DAW program like Cubase installed already and it properly recognized the device then you may have to manually set the record and play back channels in Sonar.

First thing I'd do is see if you have the drivers properly installed and selected. You can check by going to go to the menu Options> Audio> General> ASIO Panel and see if you have the right driver options selected.

Next you can go to the menu Options> Audio> Drivers. Be sure your input and output devices are check boxed so they can be used when you set up tracks. 

Next you can go to Tracks> Track Inputs> then use the input select dropdown and select the input you want. You should see Left mono, Right mono, or Stereo.

It may be best to set up a separate left and right  mono track for most stuff. (Two mono tracks = one stereo track mixing) It will allow you to add effects to the two channels independently. A stereo track from a mono instrument is essentially a mono track. The effects like chorus and dual echo create a pseudo stereo sound but the instruments strings aren't separated left and right like a keyboard can be split so its actually a mono instrument.

From there, when you set up tracks you simply need to select the proper track options. You can only select the channel options of the device drivers available. You can set up many tracks with a L, R, L, R, but you can only record on two mono tracks at one time. If you selected a stereo track, you can only record the one stereo track at a time because its using both channels of the interface. Keep in mind it may not have the full name of L&R Stereo in the ID window. Check the track properties to be sure its either a mono or stereo track. When you record a stereo track, you see dual waveforms within the track view after recording. Mono tracks have a single waveform. If you record only one side of a stereo track, you'll see a missing side in the waveform view.

Lastly, be sure to use your help file menu. Its there for a reason and all your answers can be found there. It does make good reading for learning the program as you advance in recording techniques and mixing options.

Comment

• normhart
      normhart commented
      Editing a comment

Thanks for the reply and the info and suggestions. Here is a screen shot from my session showing the input sources:

sonar inputs.JPG

As you can see, I have the all mono processed and direct input selections available. I just renamed the incorrectly named inputs. Originally, they read 'Left Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO THR Guitar L' and 'Right Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO THR L' for the first two selections and the same for the DI which read 'DI 1' for both left and right inputs on the last two selections. It was the 'L' and '1' on the Right channels that didn't look right.

The main thing is that I just wanted to verify that the THR was properly sending the two stereo pairs (2 mono 'processed' and 2 mono 'direct') across the USB connection- which it is. 

Norm

Attached Files

Working...
X