Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best method for converting .wav to .mp3 with Logic Pro 9?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best method for converting .wav to .mp3 with Logic Pro 9?

My band and I just got our final mastered tracks back from our producer. The tracks were all recorded, mixed, and mastered by him with Protools, but sent to me as .wav files.

I've got Logic Pro 9 at home and I need to compress these files so I can distribute the tracks. 

Is this process as simple as dragging the .wav files into an empty project and bouncing it as a 320kbps .mp3 file?

I read somewhere that you have to switch the track format from Mono to Stereo or something before importing the .wav file. One other producer I spoke to before also claimed that Logic doesn't bounce tracks as good as Protools does

Could anyone give me a step by step procedure? I just want to make sure I minimise the quality loss as much as possible when compressing the tracks. I'm especially worried about peaking since it's a different DAW. I don't want to add any plugins or anything, I just want to make the files smaller.

EDIT: I just had a go at importing the .wav files into Logic and both of them are peaking like crazy. The .wav files sound perfect as they are so I really don't want to do anything to them!

Thanks in advance!

You should keep the songs as wave files as that format also provides the highest quality sound. the only time you'd want to change them to a lower grade MP3's file is if you "Have" to convert them for space saving reasons. Wave files take up more space because thay have more musical information. By your post you dont seem to realize you loose tones of sampled information to get the smaller compressed file and once its gone you dont get it back by decompressing the file, so you "Always want to save copies of your master Wave files as a backup. Also burning CD's is done better by using the wave files over MP3's.

If you want to make MP3copies to post on the internet and such, thyen you can download a simple free program like CDex here. http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/?q=download  Its fast and simple, and you can highlight and drag a whole stack of songs in and convert them in in a single operation.

Keep in mind, you can go to a site like Drop Box and get free online storage space. You can upload the higher quality wave files then share links to play the songs if you want. You can have the link play back or download the song. Allot of other sites have limited space and require you to upload an MP3 only. The nice thing about drop box is you can access it from anywhere so you dont have to lug a player around with you. The songs are uploaded, and you can post links on any forum or facebook site.

Comment

Use iTunes. It works great for converting file types. Set your preference to mp3 and you should have an option to "create mp3 version" probably by just doing command click on the song.

Comment

• KevinTJH
        KevinTJH commented
        Editing a comment
        WRGKMC wrote:

You should keep the songs as wave files as that format also provides the highest quality sound. 

Yes I'm very well aware of that. Our tracks are uploaded as .wav files on Bandcamp.

However, certain sites have size limits such as SoundCloud and Emergenza. On Emergenza, the max upload limit is only 10mb, so there's really nothing we can do about it.

mike.sartori wrote:
        Use iTunes. It works great for converting file types. Set your preference to mp3 and you should have an option to "create mp3 version" probably by just doing command click on the song.

So iTunes is the way to go?

What's the difference between using a 3rd party file converter software vs bouncing a track with a DAW?

Working...
    X