No announcement yet.

Blue Yeti

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Yeti

So I was able to pick up a blue yeti usb mic tonight for half price... Couldnt pass the deal up and I have a buddy who was able to get pretty good results out of his... Its my first mic/interface.. got to start somewhere.. Anyone have any expirence with this one? how do you like it?

Blue makes some good stuff. That ones pretty cool because it has a switch where you can change the pattern from cardioid, bidirectional, omnidirectional & stereo. This is better than having a fixed pattern like most podcast mics. You can experiment with the settings tracking and it may help to give your mixes some three dimensionality.

There are obvious limitations of course. First is the cable length micing things up. USB cables begin to flake out over 10' so you're going to have limited mobility being tied to your computer. A laptop can help here. Just be sure you have a sturdy table and rubber mat on top so the laptop doesn't skid off it when you're moving around with guitar in hand and you trip over cords. If you're lucky the stereo setting may be good enough to track a full drum set. Again, it would be best to track the drums from an overhead position but you can still do allot from a frontal position.

Upgrading and expansion is the other problem. When you grow the studio you have no avenues of adding to the existing setup. You basically have to buy another interface that allows more input channels to be tracked at the same time. With a normal interface you can just plug in a different mic for different sounds or even plug guitar or bass straight in and do direct recording. You're going to have to use the same mic for everything which becomes boring quickly.

The unit is inexpensive though and many essential recording techniques can be utilized in the process of using them. I kind of like the idea from an educational aspect of a beginner having only one mic to get everything he needs for a good mix. He is forced to utilize his one mic and learn micing techniques to capture what he needs vs. tweaking knobs or using alternate mics. If you don't learn your ABC's in micing techniques from the start then anything you build on that weak foundation will compound itself. 

Most problems with mixes truly do come down to weak micing techniques. Learn to use that one option until you've exhausted it capabilities and you will be able to apply those techniques to just about any other setup you upgrade to.  A man who can make a single mic sound great has a good deal of the learning curve mastered and can out-do anyone who's trying to do the same manipulating poorly recorded tracks plugging as crutches.  

As a solo musician recording you also learn that 95% of a track recorded well comes from the player dialing up great tone and playing his ass off. A trouble free mic with good quality should be able to capture that with minimal distraction to the artist.  Gas (gear acquisition syndrome) is minimized leaving Pad (performance acquisition syndrome) the main goal of the artist. 

What musician in their right mind wouldn't rather listen to a stellar performance that basic quality over a crap performance recorded and mixed with the best gear available? Its the art that's first and foremost most important. The ears and minds of most listeners naturally ignore sound quality imperfections and hear the artwork, the same as they do listening to a  great piece of music playing back on a beat up record playing on an old victrola or a cheesy am radio with a 2" speaker.

They block the noise of a poor recording and their mind makes up for the rest of the performance they hear. If the tune is catchy it will stick in their mind weather the recording has high quality or not.  

Normally I'd recommend a budget interface and separate mic with at least two inputs. This allows someone to track two channels at the same time. You can do vocal and guitar to two separate tracks, use a drum machine, use long mic cords, etc. The cost would have been about the same. You can buy a Lexicon Alpha for $50 and a separate mic for $50 and get about the same quality as the podcast mic without the restrictions of limited cable distance. You can always get an interface as you expand though and still use the pod mic for doing vocals or whatever. You just chose a different beginning than others and it may be a good choice as I mentioned above.  

Comment

• thecakeguru
      thecakeguru commented
      Editing a comment

I got the yeti for $65 total... looks like it was barely used... A lot of stuff you said, all of it, in fact, makes sense... When I eventually do build up a studio, ive alloted about $1000 for gear to start out.. That gives me enough for what I need, for my needs, that is..

Yes, its a usb mic, but hey, it records fairly decent for what it is, and is a great, easy starting point for me. I'll be able to better grasp mic placements and techniques as you said, as well as work on mixing.. Yes, theres no flexiability in terms of upgraded or adding on, I knew this before buying it and was ok with that... It can still be used for something else even after I have an interface..who knows,, maybe i'll get creative with it, or just sell it..

I will say however, that it took me over an hour to get the blue yeti to work in cubase 5. Thats either on Blues, end, steinberg, or my own.. lol.. I had to download asio4all to get it to work... messed around for about two hours, but not enough yet.. I think this is gonna be a great learning expirence by far... Everything you said about learning proper techniques is true... Because I cant run out and buy a new mic to plug in (and because I dont have the money to with a wedding coming up), it forces me to work with what I have and make what I have work, and sound good.. 

Working...
X