Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Acid Pro 7 only recording 16bit

So I just upgraded from music studio to record in 24-bit. On my Acer 5253 laptop, Windows 7, I set the "Conexant HD Audio/microphone" to 24bit 48khz "to be used when running in shared mode" which I guess corresponds to Audio Device Preferences in Acid. Now in Acid, I deselected Sound Mapper and selected Windows Classix Wave Driver instead, and all the Coexant stuff became the new defaults--applied.

BUT, I go to record a new track, and darn it the clip-property says it recorded 16bit. HELP! Is there something about "shared mode" I'm missing? Since the Coexant driver/card CAN do 24-bit, I'm hoping to avoid a usb-interface expense.
    RECENT DEALS ck3 x2) Verence x3) RedsFan75, budkingston, atrox, Senor Limpio, ThudMaker, darkmonohue, vidiot72 x2) jthomas, fenderthrupeave, seveneyes, TheFantod -> 2011 sh333

NEOVIN 7 & TECH 21/SANSAMP BLONDE YOUTUBE DEMO

MY ROCK FILM trailer/DVD Amazon download page

MY RECORD CO: HGR Records--BEST UTAH METAL

GEARWIRE MVP Bio & fav HC links, My Bi-Monthly Review Column, 12-7

Read some of the other posts on the site here. I just did a lengthy post about the need for an interface. Its doesnt matter if you have a built in sound card that will play back 24 bit wave files.

You need an interface to record at professional sample rates. Its not just the interfaces Analog to Digital converters, its the drivers it uses. Most interfaces use ASIO drivers (Audio Stream In Out Drivers) or some other high speed drivers that stream digitized audio at high speed. Windows drivers for built in sound cards, are for multimedia. The most you may be able to do with them is plugh in a cassette player or turn table and record audio to your drive.

Built in sound cards are not recognized by most DAW programs!!! Acid wont let you run that card at 24 bits properly because the program is designed for professional grade interfaces or cards (interfaces) that run ASIO drivers. This is not only to stream audio quickly, but the interface is wired so you can hear the direct sound being recoeded. This provides Zero Latency so you hear the direct signal being tracked along with the playback of pre recorded tracks in sync with each other with "low latency". I'm surprised Acid even recognizes the card, but its likely a selling point. The program recognizes the card cant stream audio properly and defaults to using a win driver so you can use the program for multimedia work, or master stuff on a normal computer.

Theres a lot more to it, but for professional recording, built in sound cards consisting of a $2 chip aint gonna cut it. They arent designed to, nor is your daw program. You can try downloading ASIO 4 ALL and use it as a substitute driver in place of the Win driver. It may allow the DAW program to function, but its an at your own risk driver. It may not work at all, It can screw up your current driver, and if you do get it to work, your audio is likely to studder, sound grainy,, not do anything, or you can have your audio programs freeze the computern upm and crash. (Ive tested the driver with many sound cards and the problems can vary between cards and daw programs) 

For this and many other reasons, I suggest you buy an interface. You can pick up a USB type like Lexicon alpha for $50, or you can get something better like a Focusrite for about $100~$150.

From there, you need to get a set of studio monitors if you want to mix what you recorded. Without Monitors, its impossible to judge the quality of your tracks and you can mix till you're blue in the face and never get it sounding right. Its because normal playback speakers are designed to enhance audio playback adding bass, trebble and wideness to the sound. Studio monitors are dead flat frequency responce and shoot the sound directly to your ears and its like a magnifying glass for you eyes, You hear all the details of the music so you make wise mixing decisions using your ears. Then when you play music back through normal speakers it sounds professional and polished.

Like I said, Pro recording requires professional grade tools. They dont have to be super expensive, but dont even waste your time trying to use multimedia grade components. Oh and by the way, the computer has zero effect on the sound quality of the music. A computer doesnt store music it stores ones and zeros. A fast computer will allow you to manipulate allot of data, and perform tasks quickly, but you must erase from your mind that a better computer or better daw program records better sound quality. Sound quality all comes before its converted to digital including the devices that convert analog to digital (the sound card/interface) If studios could get away with recording professional recordings with $2 chips they wouldnt be spending thousands of dollars "per channel" for high quality preamps and convertes in high quality interfaces.

Comment

Working...
    X