Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DM-24 O/L Problem

I've got a weird one. I haven't turned on my rig for a couple o' days. I turned it on today and the O/L lights went solid for CH 1-14, 16 and AUX 1 & 2.

The only thing I've done is change the Power settings on my Business Partition. I have since changed them back.

I fiddled around and discovered this:

- If I turn off the Aardsync the prob goes away.
    - If I switch CH 1-14 and 16 to Return the prob goes away for these respective channels, but not AUX 1 & 2.
    - If I turn everything off but the DM-24 and my Aardsync, the prob is still there.
    - I have found no way of getting the prob in AUX 1 & 2 other than turning off the Aardsync.

That's it. I'm stuck.

Ian
    Smart-UPS 1400/PL-PLUS/ Aardsync/ C-800G
    Trak2/Roland V-Session/TD-10/Kurzweil SP88X
    Yamaha QY70/Z-Systems Optipatch
    MIDEX-8/Tascam DM-24/MSR6/Rane HC-6
    Dell Dimension 8200/P4 - 2.2 - 2 Gigs - Dual Boot/Tweaks
    Dell Inspiron XPS M1710/Duo Core - 2.16 - 4 Gigs - Dual Boot/Tweaks
    Magma CB4DRQ/Hammerfall 96/52/XP Pro SP2
    Cubase SX3/Melodyne/Seagate 73 Gig/10,000 RPM SCSI
    IBM Deskstar/Tascam DA-P1/Tascam 322
    DTR-1/Genelec 1029A/Yorkville YSMp1
    Whisper Room/AcoustiLok/Tara Labs

Sounds like a call to Tascam is in order.

War
    Warren Dent | Owner | www.ZenProAudio.com

Comment

I dropped it off Friday afternoon. Good ol' 7733 Telegraph Road. Even the address sounds like music.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by MrKnobs
        I think you'll get it back with no problem found. Sounds like a settings problem to me (I use a DM-24).

I guess you've checked all the obvious stuff: DM-24 set to external word clock in from the Aardsync, word clock terminator set to ON on the DM24 (assuming you use a star hookup, rather than a daisy chain, which you should), and are clocking the DM-24 at 44.1, 48, or 96. If the word clock master is not set to external word clock in, you would get this problem with the overload lights on, because you're essentially inputting random numbers to the mixer at that point and some of them are over 0dB FS.

The key is to troubleshoot logically one thing at a time. If the DM-24 fires up fine with itself as the master word clock, then it's unlikely there's a hardware problem with the mixer. Next step is to connect ONLY the aardsync to the DM-24 word clock in and set the DM-24 to external word clock on the DIGITAL page. Or, you might try the clock scan function to let the DM-24 tell you which digital clocks are available to it, which are good, and what their exact frequencies are.

You ARE connecting the word clock with a proper BNC cable, right? Not through the AES/EBU or SPDIF inputs, right?

Again, be sure you have the slide switch for the clock correctly set on the back of the DM-24. I think you want the switch in the far right position as seen from the back of the mixer, but I don't have the mixer in front of me so consult your manual.

If the DM24 works fine with just the aardsync as digital clock, then you must add one more piece of gear at a time until the problem recurs. Then troubleshoot that piece of gear, its settings, and its connections.

Here's another thing that can cause the problem you're having:

If you set the aardsync up as master clock, send sync from the aardsync to another device that changes the clock rate or bit depth and then connects to one of the digital ins on the DM24, there will be a problem. To fix that, either change the clock settings on the problem device or go to the digital in screen on the DM24 and set the sample convert button to ON for that device. If that's the problem, it will immediately restore the board to full correct operation when you turn the sample convert buttons on.

There are other things that can cause this, but I suspect you just have a software setting problem or a word clock mismatch.

See what Tascam says.

Terry D.

The one thing I should mention is that my rig has worked flawlessly for a couple of years before this happened and I didn't change anything that I'm aware of between the time that is was working and the time that it wasn't working.

As far as connectivity goes. I have all my devices slaved to the Aardsync with 15' Tara Labs Terminated BNC.

I did disconnect everything from the chain except the Aardsync (boy that's hard to type) and the DM-24. Still the same prob.

Disconnected EVERYTHING from the DM-24, still the same prob.

Switched the DM-24 to Internal Sync. Still not working.

The only way I could get the OL lights to go off was to shut off or disconnect the Aardsync and set the DM-24 to External Sync.

During the time that I initially had this problem and the time that I finally took the board to Tascam, the problem went from the above mentioned inputs to all the inputs including Faders 15 and 16 of the Master Fader Layer which, of course does not exist. That's when I got suspicious.

I take to a Tech at Tascam Friday morning (Who took down my personal information and promised me I would get no junk mail. The next day I got some bullsh*t from Apple Computers via email) and he agreed that it was time to call the ambulance.

The other curious thing I discovered is that on top of the OL lights going on the Meters for CH 1-16 would peak IF those channels were routed to M/L?????

I also reinitialized the board. No joy.

Clock was set to 44.1 for everything on my rig. I tested the Aardsync on my Trak2 and they locked up fine.

The settings switch was where I set it years ago, but just to be sure I double checked it with the manual and all was right in paradise.

So I think I covered it, but if you can think of anything, I would appreciate your input.

Ian

PS All my Word Clock devices have their own discrete connections to the Aardsync and are all connected with 15' cable (same length).

Comment

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Did you try reseating the ROMs? That's another classic DM-24 failure mode.

Otherwise, you've done everything I could think of to do.

Terry D.

That's probably what it is. Tascam is gonna do that and write it up as some complex technical repair: $250.00.

I did replace the Upgrade chip myself. 2.10 I think it was.

I'll post when I get it back.

Thanks,

Ian

Comment

• DenTay
            DenTay commented
            Editing a comment

Hi guys,

This weekend I got an DM24 (2nd hand). The guy told me every thing is ok but it wasn't. I had exactly the same problem with the DM24. OL on all M/L channels + AUX 1/2 and no output.

There are many posts about failed power supply so I opend the device and found a blown-fuse (F4) and a paunched capacitor (C14).
            I replaced both parts and then everything was fine.

P.S.:
            As per schematic C14 should be a 22000uF / 16V but it wasn't. 10000uF / 16V are implemend in my device. I replaced C14 with 10000uF.
            I found also a description to change the capacitors on the SW Power Supply but it is not necessary to solve the problem. But I think about to change this capacitors also in the next time.

Working...
        X