No announcement yet.

Should I charge for project files?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I charge for project files?

Hey guys, quick question for those that run studios. I have been dealing with a difficult band for months now. In a nutshell, they did 6 tunes, I've remixed them 3 times now, and the mix gets worse every time...apparently they are going for a "st. anger" sound, lol. Anyways, I don't want my name associated with the project anymore, seeing how I make a lot of my income recording.

Thing is, now they are wanting the actual project files...to have them remixed again I'm assuming. Should I charge for these?...
    I like when they say a movie is inspired by a true story. That's kind of silly. "Hey, did you hear that story about that lady who drove her car into the lake with her kids and they all drowned?" "Yeah, I did, and you know what - that inspires me to write a movie about a gorilla!"

My Band

My YouTube Channel

My Cover Tunes

Have you been billing them hourly, or is it project-based?

If hourly, I'd charge them maybe an hour to deliver the files.

Project-based, just suck it up and do it. Life's too short.

However, make sure to remove all EQ, levels, processing, etc., so they have a blank slate.

If they bitch, explain to them that since they didn't like your mixes, it'll be better if they have the new guy start from scratch.

MG

"Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

• staticsound
      staticsound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply. They were billed hourly, so that's what I was kind of thinking...billing them for an hours worth of creating .omf files.

They are going to record 3 new tunes in their practice space, and mix and master themselves

Working...
X