Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

what's the easiest way to record and build a song?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the easiest way to record and build a song?

This might be ok for pop music as it is simpler in arrangement I think.

Would recording a verse and a chorus then simply copy n' paste to build up a song be ok? Would it sound organic or robotic? I guess this depends on the genre (electronica is ok to sound robotic, but not country, etc.). But if an intro and outro is needed then that could also be added in. I'm aiming for pop arrangement. So if I have recorded 45 seconds worth of verse and chorus I could simply copy n' paste this 4-6 times to build up a 3 minute song (with intro and outro it could be a 3:30 minute song)? Maybe even add a bridge into the the mix close to the end of the song, etc. Is this a common process with pop music? I don't want it to sound boring, I just want to have an easy time building up a song in a recording studio. I think the pop hits you hear on the radio are simple arrangements. Anything else I should consider or add? Like what are some popular or common arrangements other than verse chorus verse?

You can do it that way, and probably a lot of the more modern pop/rap/EMD productions are.

However, if you listen closely to most songs, you'll find subtle variations that work to propel the song along and make more impact.

A drum fill, a variation to the bass line, additional instruments, etc. all will make the song more interesting.

If you're in the studio recording with a band, the best way is to play the whole song.

MG

"Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

• samal50
      samal50 commented
      Editing a comment

would recording in phases keep it interesting, or perhaps record new per measure? Let's say it's a 3 chord song, I record it on the first measure, then the next measure record another variation of the same 3 chord I just recorded, then build up from there?

Would another trick be is (for example), record an instrument twice and copy and paste (or erase/exchange) a measure of each track piecing the whole song together? Let's say I recorded a guitar on track 1 then record the same guitar take on track two, for the performance not to sound stale, I would use a measure from track 1 then for the next measure I would use a measure from track 2, then back to 1, then to 2, back and forth?

Now this might sound good with vocals as well especially when recording different takes and wanting to achieve different approach to each lyric line being sung. I think I read this technique from somewhere but not sure if I got it right in explaining it.

Working...
X