No announcement yet.

Shure SM7 comment....

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shure SM7 comment....

I just thought I'd share this with you guys.... I've recently started tracking my band which is metal with a lot of screaming vocals which have previously always stood out and always sounded seperate from the rest of the mix. I decided to try the SM7b (was using LDC) and I was so pumped with the results. Even with our singer screaming his lungs out with the mic nearly in his mouth, everything sounded extremely clear and sat sooo well in the mix. Just thought I'd share this with you guys in case anyone was looking for a good mic to record metal vocals. Later

I've been wanting an SM7 for just that reason. I have also been thinking about an EV RE20, and I can't decide between the 2.

Comment

I've been wanting an SM7 for just that reason. I have also been thinking about an EV RE20, and I can't decide between the 2.

You rarely see a discussion about one without the other being compared. IMHO, you'll get more mileage out of the RE20. Great mic for numerous instruments, not to mention vocals. If you're going for the SM7, be careful. There are several different runs out there that were manufactured in different countries(I believe Mexico was one). Do your research before buying. You could get a great one or a really mediocre/bad one.

Best, Paul
      WADAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again !

Comment

You rarely see a discussion about one without the other being compared. IMHO, you'll get more mileage out of the RE20. Great mic for numerous instruments, not to mention vocals. If you're going for the SM7, be careful. There are several different runs out there that were manufactured in different countries(I believe Mexico was one). Do your research before buying. You could get a great one or a really mediocre/bad one.

Best, Paul

Have you compared different SM-7s, or are you just repeating what you've heard?

This is the first I've heard of this - Shure's quality has always been consistent, no matter where they were manufactured. I'd like to see a source for this info, please.

MG
        "Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

Do your research before buying. You could get a great one or a really mediocre/bad one.

Shure is very consistant about their mics and EV is as well.

Shure's Mexican mics have in my opinion been consistant with earlier US built mics.

I have seen/heard claims that Mexican SM57's and SM58's were supposedly not as good as earlier US made ones but I honestly think this has been fueled by attempts in the last several years by people on Ebay to get more money for their American made mics that they were selling. I have never heard anyone before this post question the quality of the SM7 at all.

Comment

Have you compared different SM-7s, or are you just repeating what you've heard?... I'd like to see a source for this info, please.MG

No, I haven't bought and compared different units. That's not what I based the post on. I was researching the Rode K2 for different reasons on Klaus Heyne's forum at http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/ , and I saw it in one of the related threads. I was quite surprised. That's why it stuck in memory. I don't have time to find the exact thread, but a seach of "Rode K2" is where it was. There seemed to be consent from posters, and no one seemed to contradict it. If I get a chance, I'll go thru the list again. FWIW, I've never had a problem with any Shure mic, but I would certainly be aware if warned of potential problems and check it out before buying.

Best, Paul
            WADAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again !

Comment

From some comments I have read on this forum, the SM7 is the greatest mic in the world and blows away any "cheap" condenser mic like AT 4047/4050, any Rode condenser, etc.

I have an RE20 that gets a lot of use, but isn't the perfect mic for every occasion and frequently gets replaced with one of the "crap" mics listed above.

But I rarely read any reviews of the SM7 that aren't very positive.
              Mark
              "Do that again....Open your mouth and make your face disappear"..

Comment

You're gonna need a preamp with a ****************-ton of gain.

Just saying.

Tim
                Originally Posted by nathanlux

I demand a phaser during slow parts too. It's a pretty solid show business decision.

Comment

now I want both....

Comment

The SM7 is pretty much my go to mic for screamers ...it just has that special something that glues the vocal into the mix.
                    --------------------
                    Supersonic Samples :: Premium Drum Replacement Library
                    Supersonic DOWNLOAD Page

Comment

IMHO, Nobody repeat, Nobody who records should be without at least 1 SM 57 in their mic locker. And for $100 you cant go wrong.

Mike
                      BLACK AND WHITE ARE ALL I SEE IN MY INFANCY...RED AND YELLOW THAN CAME TO BE..REACHING OUT TO ME..LETS ME SEE...THERE IS SO MUCH MORE THAT BECKONS ME..LOOKING THROUGH TO THESE..INFINITE POSSIBILITIES........

Official Charter Member Of The Geezer Guild

Comment

Nope, sorry SM7B not SM57. It's a large diapham dynamic.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_SM7B_content

and it's fantastic. I use it on snare live and everything when I'm recording. I'll be doing vocals with it next monday and I was using it on a bass cab last night.

Dave
                        If at first you don't succeed, Give up and pay some-one who's better qualified than you to do it.

Comment

Isn't Shure SM7 and EV RE20 quite in the same ball park sonically, both being LD dynamics, specs being quite the same?
                          Most people wouldn't know good music if it came up and bit them in the ass
                          - Frank Zappa

Comment

Nope, sorry SM7B not SM57. It's a large diapham dynamic.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_SM7B_content

and it's fantastic. I use it on snare live and everything when I'm recording. I'll be doing vocals with it next monday and I was using it on a bass cab last night.

Dave

Oops. sorry. It was a long day. Kind of missread it.
                            BLACK AND WHITE ARE ALL I SEE IN MY INFANCY...RED AND YELLOW THAN CAME TO BE..REACHING OUT TO ME..LETS ME SEE...THERE IS SO MUCH MORE THAT BECKONS ME..LOOKING THROUGH TO THESE..INFINITE POSSIBILITIES........

Official Charter Member Of The Geezer Guild

Comment

Isn't Shure SM7 and EV RE20 quite in the same ball park sonically, both being LD dynamics, specs being quite the same?

The SM7 has the same capsule as the SM57 and SM58.

There is nothing particularly LARGE about the Shure Unidyne III capsule as dynamic mics go.

Comment

Working...
                              X