Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presonus studiolive 16.4.2 - ok for recording?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presonus studiolive 16.4.2 - ok for recording?

So, the SL 16.4.2 gets plenty of love in the live sound forum, anyone using it mostly for recording?

I am about to replace my trusty Motu 2408s & Soundcraft 200b, looking forward to less latency, mixing via iPad, and nice new faders and pots.

you guys like the SL 16.4.2 for recording?

If not, do you have alternative recommendation? Need 16 inputs.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.aromaticsquid.com/music/music.htm" target="_blank">Aromatic Squid</a><br />
    <a href="http://www.myspace.com/hothotrobot" target="_blank">Hot Hot Robot</a></div>

In general, I think Motu makes much better gear and switching

to Presonus might be a step down in recording quality and reliability.

I haven

Comment

The faders on the SL are not high quality IMO. The knobs, too, are not that great. The big sell point for me on those things is the ability to get rid of the FOH rack for processing, snake/FOH table with the Ipad mixing and the meter bridge. I don't have any experience with that thing in the studio, but IIRC the controls on the SL can integrate into studio one for playback. Less gear, less physical patching and cabling to fail and deal with.

I wouldn't pull that trigger unless you're going to use it live. And it gets 'plenty of attacks' in the live sound forum, too. For good reason. Your soundcraft/MOTU setup is likely more reliable.

Comment

Mackie 1640i. Great preamps and converters.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">I like Z Cars<br />
        and Guitars</div>

Comment

I have used that exact board.

Honestly it was a buggy piece of **************** on my mac and his mac (was trying to run it with cubase 5).

Issues we had on OSX 10.6.8 on both a mac pro and a mac mini (also intel):

1. Opening the mixer app resulted in the app locking up and not working, meters in the app would spike and freeze.

2. If we left the app unopened, but opened cubase the board would lock up and freeze. You could restart, but it usually just froze again.

3. When we did get it to finally work for a little while (this was also after doing firmware upgrades and downgrades) the driver would sometimes just drop out and we would have to reset it (the reset button in cubase usually worked though).

Plus sides I though of the board:

1. Having a parametric on each channel in live situations would be absolutely amazing.

2. The simple software they included for just recording live shows is pretty streamlined and easy to use (note, I'm not talking studio one).

3. I'm personally a fan of how presonus xmax preamps sound.

4. The fx in the board were pretty nice, the compressor was also pretty nice. Again both really REALLY nice to have live.

5. Everything is easy on the eyes, and the board is layed out well in terms of using it for long periods.

6. Both apps for ipad and iphone/ipod touch worked well when the board worked.

Cons:

1. Didn't like that you had to buy a separate cable if you wanted direct outs.

2. For a board this expensive I expected it to either have motorized faders, or at min to work as a DAW controller. If the cheap zoom can do it, I see no reason why this shouldn't.

3. I don't think the manual was written as well as it should have been.

4. I thought the way you got this thing to play system audio was a little bit stupid, but they probably had their reasons for doing it that way.

5. Since this is also a recording interface, it would have been nice to see an instrument input on the front near the headphone outs (but yeah this is more designed for live stuff so this is a minor complaint).

6. Was a little disappointed that they didn't write a new driver for this. They used the firestudio driver.

Actually, this was my experience with the firestudio as well (different friend, it was his mac pro and mine and he wanted to run pro tools 9 with the firestudio). Again really buggy piece of **************** for both of us, bot of them ended up returning them.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.nerolstudio.com" target="_blank">www.nerolstudio.com</a></div>

Comment

Dangit I was hoping the 16..4.2. was the answer to everything.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.aromaticsquid.com/music/music.htm" target="_blank">Aromatic Squid</a><br />
            <a href="http://www.myspace.com/hothotrobot" target="_blank">Hot Hot Robot</a></div>

Comment

The AD/DA conversion and frequency response of the StudioLive and new AudioBox lines are pretty horrible..

I can't seem to find the chart right now but I'll redo the test and post the conversion SPL and phase. The frequency response gets some distortion in the signal after about 1.5-2k on my AudioBox 1818, more than likely due to improper digital shielding from the analog parts. The phase response is actually pretty good, but the frequency response along the way leaves a lot to be desired.

That's typically what you see though, either a unit has amazing phase response and sacrifices frequency response, or vice versa; however, those awesome AD or DA converters don't sacrifice either, hence why they cost the extra cash.

Literally the only reason I can see companies NOT providing these charts, is because they're afraid of being that honest about their products. If deadmau5 was doing anything other than electronic music in clubs, I'd be really surprised to see him still using a StudioLive board.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by chugheshc2
                View Post

Dangit I was hoping the 16..4.2. was the answer to everything.

I think something like a digital mixer can be a solution some day.

Some are definately better than others. Bushmaster mentions the Mackie.

It likely has better preamps.

I think they are trying to sell them based on how much crap they can stick in the boxes

and wind up sacrific in what counts the most. Quality.

As I said, Preamp and Converter quality are at the source of good recording.

If the quality is there tracking then a loss of quality shaping the sound mixing will

still leave you with great sounding tracks. You cant enhance bad quality with all the gizmos

in the world packed in a box. They only complicate things.

Same goes for older analog recording setups when you think about it.

In analog its simply great low noise preamps, recording head, and the tape itself.

The rest deals with mechanical tape movement.

Digital is alll about accurate sampleing of an analog wave. The preamps geterate

a great signal to be sampled, and the convertes create a high definition binary copy

of the waveform. The rest, how faders feel or mechanical relyability, or how you like

using a DAW interface to get things done are all post tracking items. You got to capture

great tracks before you can mix them so its all about the front end up to the converters.

Like I said, I havent used presonus stuff much. My buddy has an 8 channel Firebox

that was glitchey as all get out. I didnt spend allot of time using it. It was mostly

fixing his driver issues. The thing was constantly crashing on him and having connectivity issues.

What I did hear from the recorded tracks didnt exactly turn me on. I know some of it was his lack of

recording experience. It would take me a month using the gear first hand to fully evaluate gear and

find all of its limitations. I'm sure I could get some good recordings from It, But I think I'd max its

capibilities out rather quickly and regret what I bought. If I found one at half cost used, then I

might feel better spending that kind of money. Even then I think I could do much better.

I do see you use an external mixer for your recording.

I think most of your bottleneck is coming from that unit.

Its impressive to have a mixer but thats as far as it goes.

All that circuitry robs the signal coming from the mic and colors it.

Its just not needed in modern Daw systems. I have about a half dozen

mixers in storage myself and determined long ago, they rob tone.

My suggestion is get an interface with as many built in mic preamps

as you need for you mics. All XLR inputs with a single mic preamp volume,

and decent meters for all. Maybe a high pass switch on the channels, but thats it.

This way EVERYTHING, from the mic gets captured, the good and the bad.

If a channel captures bad tone, then theres only one way of correcting that.

You fix the sound quality at the source. You dont use channel filters/EQ knobs

to filter the sound. You had to do some of that recording analog so you didnt oversaturate

the tape, but even there, getting the source correct was #1.

From there its all about mixing in the box. You dont need an external mixer for that and it

can actually cause more quality loss if you do. Tracks playing straight through the converters

to the monitors gives you exactly what you tracked. The only thing you use is the daw program to

manipulate the data before it gets to the converters.

If you're used to using your hands to manipulate the sound, get a cotroller that works well with your DAW program.

This will take the place of an analog mixer for sound manipulation mixing but its all being done on a digital level,

before the data is converted to sound bu the converters.

Then if you want to loop sound through some vintage rack gear, thats up to you.

I know loosing the analog mixer is rough. I was an analog guy since the 60's when

I first got into tape. I went 100% digital in the late 90's when drives became big enough.

It took a good 10 years to really get the hang of it and DAW programs, and gear to do a good

enough for me to let go of the analog path. Now days, there really isnt any reason to use analog

gear like you used to.

Just my perspective.

Comment

Bit the bullet, drank the koolaid.

StudioLive should arrive Monday.

I had a very frustrating session with the Soundcraft Saturday morning, pops, random input channels not going to various sends, pulling channel strips and reseating cables would only work for a few minutes if at all, really made for no fun.

Add trying to make the band understand a matrix for headphone mixes (I play drums with these guys and can't reach the board), especially when things are flaky... no fun no fun no fun and no music no music no music while I am tinkering.

It was time to for a change.

The board had traveled all over the United States as part of a monitor system, then got used for recording for at least another 10 years or so after that.

I am actually selling it back to the engineer I got it from, he will refurbish it or use it for spares for his other 200b series. Enjoy your next career Mr. Soundcraft! (have to ship to Nashville, sucker is heavy too.)

I will be selling off the MOTU 2408s, snakes, and pci-424 card, nothing but a good experience with that hardware, it is just redundant at this point, and I need the couple hundred bucks for other stuff.

I am confident this is at the very, very least, a moderate step up in sound quality, and a huge step up in reliability. The convenience factor has a huge potential too.

Update in a month or two so after I figure out how to start to use it!

Comment

I hope you don't have any of the issues we did with it. Maybe we got a dud or maybe it was cubase, I don't know.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.nerolstudio.com" target="_blank">www.nerolstudio.com</a></div>

Comment

• chugheshc2
                      chugheshc2 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ok, I have had the Presonus studiolive for about three weeks.
                      In my case , this was the right move.
                      Everything works just like it was supposed to, and I understand this board much better than the Soundcraft 200b already.
                      Being able to use an app to adjust the aux mixes is so, very, very much easier than doing it in analog.
                      Being able to limit on each auc mix out is nice too.
                      The only caveat I have so far is that the gain does not seem as high as it was on Soundcraft.

Working...
                  X