X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording on a Mac on the cheap?

I'm looking for a good recording program for Mac, that isn't GarageBand (we need a little more capability than that).  I use mainly outboard gear (compression and reverb) so huge plug-in capabilities are not necessary.  Essentially, what I'd like is a stripped down version of Pro-Tools or something similar.  My PreSonus AudioBox USB I got several years ago came with Cubase LE, which was great for PC and I've used extensively.  Now that I'm recording a whole band (16 channels) and making the move to Mac, I need something different.  I have a MOTU unit that I picked up off of eBay, and that's going to be our recording interface.

Any suggestions?

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><b><font color="navy">Pearl</font>/<font color="firebrick">Sabian</font>/<font color="darkorange">ProMark</font>/<font color="darkgreen">Pork Pie</font></b><br><br><a href="http://www.sabian.com/EN/community/member.cfm?memberID=16475" target="_blank">My Sabian Profile</a><br><p><br>2011 American Vintage '72 Telecaster Thinline / 2012 American Standard Stratocaster HH / 2013 American Deluxe Stratocaster HH<br><br>Laney VC30 212 / VHT Special 6 Ultra<br><br>Korg PitchBlack &gt; Fulltone FullDrive 2 MOSFET &gt; SweetSound MojoVibe &gt; Eventide TimeFactor &gt; Line6 Verbzilla</p></font></div>

Reaper would probably be your best bet.

MG

"Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

I used reaper on my xp laptop and when I got my iMac I kept right on using it.

Works great and the license and files will work on either system.

<div class="signaturecontainer">Tim O'Brien</div>

Comment

Reaper, eh?  I'll have to check it out.  I assume it interfaces well with most recording setups like my MOTU?

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><b><font color="navy">Pearl</font>/<font color="firebrick">Sabian</font>/<font color="darkorange">ProMark</font>/<font color="darkgreen">Pork Pie</font></b><br><br><a href="http://www.sabian.com/EN/community/member.cfm?memberID=16475" target="_blank">My Sabian Profile</a><br><p><br>2011 American Vintage '72 Telecaster Thinline / 2012 American Standard Stratocaster HH / 2013 American Deluxe Stratocaster HH<br><br>Laney VC30 212 / VHT Special 6 Ultra<br><br>Korg PitchBlack &gt; Fulltone FullDrive 2 MOSFET &gt; SweetSound MojoVibe &gt; Eventide TimeFactor &gt; Line6 Verbzilla</p></font></div>

Comment

• gubu
          gubu commented
          Editing a comment

CoolDrum3 wrote:

Reaper, eh?  I'll have to check it out.  I assume it interfaces well with most recording setups like my MOTU?

Yep

The editing is a bit clunky on it, compared to some other DAWs. But apart from that, it's pretty awesome.

• TimOBrien
          TimOBrien commented
          Editing a comment

I assume it interfaces well with most recording setups like my MOTU?

Yup. In fact I use it with an older 828mkII.

I agree with everyone. 

I've used Repaer for a few years now and i am not going to change to another DAW.
        It has everything you need and is simple and understandable!

Blessings!
        -T

Comment

Logic Pro X I hear is better then 9. with the virtual drums, amps, and cabs too I think. it is $199 out the door

Comment

I tried Reaper recently, and I didn't like it.  The guitar distortions sort of load up in this MS-DOS looking thing, have limited adjustability, and sound horrible to the point of being unusable at any setting.  Perhaps it wasn't compatible with my interface or something.

You mentioned most of your effects are outboard, so it might be ok.  You can demo it for free.

Comment

• DanBAP
              DanBAP commented
              Editing a comment

Max Zero wrote:

I tried Reaper recently, and I didn't like it.  The guitar distortions sort of load up in this MS-DOS looking thing, have limited adjustability, and sound horrible to the point of being unusable at any setting.  Perhaps it wasn't compatible with my interface or something.

You mentioned most of your effects are outboard, so it might be ok.  You can demo it for free.

Do you mean to say that you didn't like the included plugins?

-Dan.

• TimOBrien
              TimOBrien commented
              Editing a comment
              The included plugins with Reaper are basic, but it will use ANY au or vst plugin.... you have the freedom to load whatever you want (and there is a LOT of good cheap or free stuff out there....)

Yup, Logic Pro X is better than 9. They improved everything and pretty much got rid of all the bugs.

<a href="http://tyneworkbeats.com" rel="dofollow">Buy Beats</a>

Comment

Working...
            X