Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which interface?

As of now I have a line6 Studio GX. Nothing special but the POD farm comes handy when I just want to sketch things silently at night.
    But now it's a different story. I started singing and I need an interface that has a mic pre as well...
    I am thinking of selling the studio GX to fund for my next interface.
    Here is a list of what I was thinking of buying.

- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    - presonus audiobox
    - Line 6 POD Studio KB37 (it's a bit stretch for my budget but for scoring bass part or something the master keyboard could come in handy? I do have a digital keyboard but it is not a master keyboard...)
    - M-Audio M-Track Plus
    -Focusrite iTrack Solo

I have a mac mini and run Logic9 pro
    I have a 57 for a mic..

Which one to go..?

ah.. any opinions? 

Comment

• WRGKMC
      WRGKMC commented
      Editing a comment

Focusrite has good preamps so you should be fine with it. Most interfaces will do fine. Its all in how many channels you want to simutaniously record at the same time. When I went digital I was already using 8 track analog recorders and recording bands. I went straight to an 8 channel interface because a two channel was useless to me. My ban played live and I recorded all the instruments live to separate channels and tracks at the same time.

For solo stuff I may use 4 channels at once. I often use digital drum machines which require two channels, and then I track my guitar in stereo which is two more. I then add my parts one or two tracks at a time multitracking. I could do it with two channels only but swapping cables gets to be a pain in the butt.

The one problem you'll have is you wont be able to use two different devices to track with at the same time. If you track with the guitar rig, you wont be able to use the focusrite at the same time. The DAW program wont let you run two different interfaces at the same time so if you want to play guitar chords and sing at the same time, you have to run everything through the Focusrite to track. You can do it if your guitar unit has an analog output and run it into the focusrite. If you want to run stereo then you have to be sure the interface has at least 4 channels for recording. Two for guitar and one preamp for the vocals.

This is why I'd suggest at least a 4 channel interface. You outgrow 2 channels quickly. You can even run an amp and mic it for that 4th channel then mix the three guitar tracks into one to get the best tones. Its all up to your imagination and being creative.

So seems like its more about the number of inputs rater than the quality of preamp in the interface? Should i rather get lexicon 4channel?

Comment

• WRGKMC
      WRGKMC commented
      Editing a comment

Qualitty of the convertes and preamps is key, but your lower end units are allot like the Large Diaphram you buy. All the budget ones use the same diaphrams made in China. You may get a little difference in tone because of the head basket, and it may look different but the actual output compared on a Frequency Analyzer would be nearly identical.

Same kind of deal with the lower end interfaces. One may have a little more high or low end responce but you'd never hear it in a mix if the person using it knew what he was doing. Most vocal mics roll off well below 20Khz and even the higher harmonics are rolled off mastering, Now will most playback gear be able to produce those frequencies even if they were there.  

I set our singer up with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, to cut vox for our last record and it's been great.

Solid sound, no driver issues.

MG

"Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

• WRGKMC
      WRGKMC commented
      Editing a comment

Good point, Some gear has more issues with their drivers than they do with the sound quality you can get.

My buddy bought a Presonus Firebox 8 channel interface and was having all kinds of issues kepping it connected to his laptop. I told him if he wanted Firewire to run it on a desktop and buy a good firewire card with a TX instruments chipset. He let some saleman who knew nothing about audio sell him a 64 bit laptop and an  IEEE-1394 card. The thing was constantly dropping off line and when he brought it by he had loaded multiple copies of the same driver on there. The problem was his DAW program was 32 bit running in compatibility mode. When he closed the program, it would drop the driver when it switched to 64 bit mode and then the DAW program couldnt find it again when he opened the program.

That kind of stuff will drive you nuts thinking it was the interface when all the time it was his computer. Even digital noise can be something as simple as the buffer or latency settings being set too high or low.

roland quad-capture.

Comment

Working...
    X