No announcement yet.

JBL LSR2328P Hiss

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBL LSR2328P Hiss

The other day on the Stupid Deal of the Day, JBL LSR2328P's were onsale for $150. I picked up a pair, as I had never had any studio monitors before, and these should have been much nicer then anything else I could have gotten for $300. Well I got them yesterday, and after getting over the fact that they were much larger then I had anticipated, got them set up and they sound great. They will go so loud with so much clairity. 

When there is nothing comming through the speakers, or at low level, you can hear this hiss. And ive had the same sound before, when I hook my AudioBox 22VSL up to my mixer to run Guitar Rig through my PA. A direct box fixes this problem. Well now I have the problem, but with my monitors. Heres my steps in troubleshooting so far:

-Switched 1/4" cables

-Tried both speaker outputs on Audiobox

-Tried using a 1/4" to RCA

-Tried using my Direct Box(Just as like a basis..)

-Tried plugging the Power Cable into the wall instead of surge strip

-Switched the two speakers so that I would be using the other power cable, 1/4" cable, etc.

No matter what, I can't make the one stop hissing, and the other I cant make start. It should be noted that It does not hiss when there is nothing plugged in, just when It has a cable plugged into my interface.

Is there anything else to try, or should I get in touch with JBL and try and get the thing replaced?

Thanks for the help,

Jesse

One more thing to try:

Does the hiss go away with the volume on the interface all the way down?

Also, where is the volume set on the monitors?

Just due to "Troubleshooting 101" if the speakers don't hiss with nothing plugged into them, it would point to a problem upstream, not the monitors.

The one thing which could negate that conclusion would be if the input jacks are somehow switched, so that they're shorted when nothing is plugged in.

MG

"Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

• xb2003
      xb2003 commented
      Editing a comment

The hiss does not change when I move the level on my audio interface.

The volume on the monitors is set at about 1 oclock, or just above half. Changing this slightly changes the hiss, but not much. The gain cut/boosts are set at 0db.

"Just due to "Troubleshooting 101" if the speakers don't hiss with nothing plugged into them, it would point to a problem upstream, not the monitors."

The only reason I went against this theory is because one of the monitors doesn't make the hiss, while the other does. And if you swap the cables from one speaker to another, the problem still occurrs on the original speaker. I can't wrap my mind around how this could be due to the audio interface, but if I'm wrong please tell me how. I don't claim to be a pro, I'm just trying to learn.

"The one thing which could negate that conclusion would be if the input jacks are somehow switched, so that they're shorted when nothing is plugged in."

Care to explain this, and how I might be able to check and see if this is the problem?

Working...
X