Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presonus studio 1

So if anyone has this, would you post tips for beginners? I've used it a little but not much!

Also wondering if you do have it, how to add simple effects to small sections of the recording!

Comment

• WRGKMC
      WRGKMC commented
      Editing a comment

Haven't used it but most daws follow a similar model which is usually based on a cross between an analog studio and Microsoft Office. If you know what you want to do, you can usually find out how to do it with the manual and help files.

The site does have some tutorial videos that may help. http://www.presonus.com/products/studio-one/learn

In just about any other DAW I've used, adding effects to a certain part of a track can be done in several ways. I'd first open the project, then save it with a new name. Then open the duplicate project that has a new name. This will ensure, the original recording is a safety backup there in case you have a flub and damage a track on the copy. You can always start over again if you have the untouched original.

Hard editing:  In Sonar and Cubase and most all DAW programs you can view the track while its playing, and then find the spot in the song where you want something to happen. Using the Time line above the track you select and then highlight the part of the track you want to apply the effect (just like you would highlight a word typing text in a word processor program) Some require setting up markers. You should find this kind of info in the editing and apply effects chapter of the manual if it has one.

Once the area is highlighted you can do several things. One can be to add the effect to just that portion of the track by "processing" it in. The effect must be setup with the exact settings you want by building a preset for it. Once its applied to the track in that highlighted area its permanent. There's no knobs you can twist if you get it wrong. Since this kind of operation is normally used to render an entire track and allow you to remove the effect from the track buss and cut down on CPU load, its not normally used on just a highlighted area of a track, but it is an option. Since its being applied to a sharp cut in the track This can create a chop as the effect kicks on in the highlighted area, so it may not be your best choice. If the musical phrasing has a musical rest as a lead in and out of the phrase, the cut to an effect may not be heard.

I've used this one many times and it can be quick and easy. Its just not good for all situations, nor is it very creative.

Another way is to copy or cut just that portion to another open track and leave a space in the original track. (like cutting an pasting a word or sentence to another line) You place the effect in the new track buss and when the tune is playing, the portion that you copied over will have the effect and the portion of the track that's not there stops playing.

That again is hard editing, much like dubbing in a part on another open track. If the edit isn't clean you can have problems hearing the cut. You can overlap the edits when you copy, make the edit you copy a little larger, then use envelopes to gradually increase the volume on the copied track, and have it decrease on the original track.

You also copy the entire track, then use cross fading and/or envelopes. You can zero out the volume on the copied track for everything but the portion where you want the effect and have a smooth ramp where the volume comes up and down one the portion you want heard with the effect, then fade the same part out on the original track. Its similar to copying a small portion except the edits are smoother.

Copy, pasting, envelopes etc are all ways of getting a duplicate track happening and you place the effects on that track.

A more common method of adding effects is to use automation. This is like having motorized faders on analog gear that move up and down depending on the time line and how you set them to move.

You set up your effect the way you'd want it for that portion of the track. Then set the wet/dry knob on the effect to 100% dry or bypassed.  Then set the track for "Write"

When you play the track back and get to the portion you want the effect at, you use the mouse to turn the wet dry knob up for that portion, then back down when its done. 

Once the track is done playing, you turn off the "Write" button and turn on the "Read" button.

When you play back the track again, the knob will turn itself up exactly where you did it before, like a ghost copying your previous tweaks.

A DAW does more than record music it can record the movement of any or all knob movements based on the clock/counter time line.

There are other ways of doing this operation with automation as well. You can set up an Aux Buss, Place the effect that buss set up and ready to go. Run your track again, and this time tweak the Aux Buss send up for that portion of the song. This is like having a PA mixer with an effect in the mixers effects loop. When you want more effect, you turn up the effect knob on that channel.

Having the effect in a separate buss vs the track buss can allow you to have several track go to that effect and when you automate it, they all get the effect applied. This can be good if you have multiple guitar or vocal tracks and you want the one effect applied to all at the exact same time. You can also have a mono track fed to a stereo effect, or have the track sent to two aux busses with different effects panned hard left and right. When the send is turned up, the effects give a widening of the solo part with the parts on either side.

Those are only a few techniques you can use. Keep in mind I used words and terminology here that is common to the programs I use. DAW manufacturers love to give their gizmos unique names, so you have to do some translation of what I've said if there are discrepancies. Just like guitar boxes. They may name the bass knob on a box Grunt and the treble, Screech. The name of the knob doesn't change what the knob actually does.

The key is to learn the processes of what can be done. You can then go and find the methods unique to your DAW to get them done. Someone who uses your DAW may be able to get you there painting by numbers and making specific tweaks unique to your DAW. If you learn the processes you can walk up to any DAW and perform the same operation.

Its like getting into a car and driving it. You may have to fiddle around and find the button for the headlight or pop the hood, but its usually there in a logical place. You just have to familiarize youself with it.

If that doesn't work you crack the manual and look up that chapter and find where that gizmo is. Of course if you never put gas in a car, and only knew it made the engine run, you may guess wrong and pour it into the hole for the oil. This may sound stupid because you grew up seeing others fill the tank.

The thing with a DAW program is You haven't seen it done and therefore may not know how to do certain things. All you know is what you want as an end result, The car to go. In order to drive any car, you have to learn the basics. Its called drivers ed which is building basic skills. There are things unique to that specific car as there is to specific DAW programs. You can figure them out but it is technical and as I posted there can be many methods yielding similar or different results. You have to try them all and use what works best for that particular recording.

Back when I learned it was all analog. If you wanted to edit, you either bounced a track, manually faded parts up, or you got out a pair of scissors and cut the tape an manually spliced it to fit. Editing like that is a real artform that takes many years to get right. Listen to some of the old analog recordings like Sargent Peppers which was all done with bits and pieces of tape, some taped together backwards and you gain appreciation for how easily those things can be done in a DAW. 

When I switched to digital It took me two years before I figured out all the easy ways of doing things. I still used hard edits cutting and pasting parts for a long time, because I was already good at that from using Tape. Once I learned what could be done, I cracked the manual and spend days perfecting other methods. Noone was there to walk me through it step by step, I simply knew it could be done. 

There are probably a hundred of other things that can be done which I haven't tried yet. One would be to connect up a a rack unit effects box and use its midi port to run it from the DAW. I can play the track back, have the interface output feed the rack unit input, then have its output get recorded to a new track. I could then operate the unit using midi control and automate to add the effect via midi control.

The only reason I haven't tried it is because it takes allot of programming using midi. For me Its just common sense to just turn the knobs on the hardware effect while the new tracks recording. I haven't found a good reason to go through all the hassle of setting the unit up for midi and automating it.

The key is I know it can be done. If I get inspired to try it, I'll have to put in enough time to get better results than I did doing it manually. I know I could probably switch between several effects all timed on a beat of a song and have then triggered "exact toe mundo". It may be just the ticket for a guy who does House music. I'm just not into that kind of music so I have no need for it.

But that's the beauty of a DAW program. Most are loaded with tools for just about anything you need. The programs were designed by engineers who mix all kinds of music so those tools are all imbibed in there some place. You just have to read the manual and use some common sense to figure them out.  

CandiceMilner wrote:

So if anyone has this, would you post tips for beginners? I've used it a little but not much!

Hello Candice. Congrats on the mic and Studio one. Both good choices. I watched one video, the Skinny B&W one. You'd get a richer, better, quieter track by moving closer to the mic, then turning down the gain(volume) to re adjust the level you want. Also, I can hear the room sound a bit too much. If you had another mic stand, I would drape a thick blanket over a boom mic stand(with the boom arm horizontal) just behind the mic. That may make video tough to shoot but the sound will be clearer. Shoot video from the side maybe.. 

Comment

Working...
    X