is using a metronome a good way to have "rhythm" on guitar?

samal50

• Members

Humans time drifts. Many noobs' and pros' too for that matter think they have good time but this notion almost never survives a metronome. The two most common results are, "This thing speeds up." and, "This thing slows down."

Get any reliable brand that suits your budget.

I've never used one so I'm curious. I thought I read something about it and I'm paraphrasing. What's a good metronome to have?

What type of phone do you have? If you have an iPhone, there are a variety of metronome apps in the App Store. You can try one of the free ones and get an idea of what you like / need, and move on from there. There are probably similar apps available for Android too.

Korg, Peterson, Boss... all of these companies make electronic hardware metronomes with a variety of features and price points. It's hard to go wrong with any of them.

Metronomes can be as inexpensive as a free app, but you might want to consider spending the modest bucks for an advanced hardware metronome that offers more features. Or even a drum machine - they can make a very good metronome substitute. One approach that some people really like is having drum patterns or alternative sounds rather than just a choice or a click, clap or beep sound. Some people find it more inspiring to practice to a looped MIDI drum pattern than to a steady CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK... and some metronomes have that capability now.

The key to working on parts with a metronome is start slow and gradually work your way through ever-increasing tempos, only moving to the next faster tempo once you've mastered the part at the slower tempo. Rinse and repeat until you can play the part a tempo - at the original, intended "full" speed.

The more you use a metronome and concentrate on playing in time, without rushing or dragging, the better your time tends to get. It also helps you to listen and to adjust what you're doing to what you're hearing - which is another very useful skill for musicians to practice and develop. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

my answer is NO

the machine is man made

rhythm is an energy that comes for the mid section of our body

if that energy is in balance with one of the gifts of God, then you are born under a lucky and gifted star of the gift of music

do i know , yes, my daughter was born with ears that enchant the listener to her music including me

• 2 months later...
  • Members
I've never used one so I'm curious. I thought I read something about it and I'm paraphrasing. What's a good metronome to have?

This is an old question, but it got me thinking...

"Rhythm" (or "sense of rhythm") is not the same as "time".

I'd rather say that the metronome is a very useful tool for learning the technical (manual + aural) skill of playing the notes exactly when you want them to sound.

OTOH, the metronome doesn't teach you rhythmical sense. You learn that from listening to music, from playing along a base or together with other people, from jamming alone, from singing and even from dancing.

Metronome practicing is more akin to reciting a tongue-twister, while rhythm is more like a conversation. The first can help the second, but it's definitely not the same and not enough.

• 9 months later...
  • Members
I am new to playing guitar and I study on my own, that's why I'm interested in the question.Did I need a metronome to play the guitar? Because it is used for playing the drums.

It's not so much that you "need" it at all costs, but it's beneficial to improve certain technical aspects of playing the instrument.

IMHO it's a lot more important for drummers, because of the coordination required between 2 arms and 2 legs. As soon as you deviate from the simplest patterns, it becomes difficult to keep up with the tempo just by your inner ear. In addition, in a band the drums are usually what everyone else rely on :)

For guitarists I'd say the metronome is good when you practice the basics, like alternate picking exercises. I never used it for practicing songs.

• Members

There's good time and then there's good time. Here's an exceptional track. Yes engineered, mixed and tweaked to perfection but notice the section work, dead tight. This doesn't happen by accident. Their sense of the figures has been painstakingly honed to the millisecond. Anybody know how they manage this astounding feat?

Oh, there's a gitterrer in there too. He for sure wasn't called for his drunken hippie blues feel. I promise.

Archived