Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

is using a metronome a good way to have "rhythm" on guitar?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is using a metronome a good way to have "rhythm" on guitar?

I've never used one so I'm curious. I thought I read something about it and I'm paraphrasing. What's a good metronome to have?

Humans time drifts. Many noobs' and pros' too for that matter think they have good time but this notion almost never survives a metronome. The two most common results are, "This thing speeds up." and, "This thing slows down."
    Get any reliable brand that suits your budget.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Originally posted by samal50 View Post
      I've never used one so I'm curious. I thought I read something about it and I'm paraphrasing. What's a good metronome to have?
      What type of phone do you have? If you have an iPhone, there are a variety of metronome apps in the App Store. You can try one of the free ones and get an idea of what you like / need, and move on from there. There are probably similar apps available for Android too.

Korg, Peterson, Boss... all of these companies make electronic hardware metronomes with a variety of features and price points. It's hard to go wrong with any of them.

Metronomes can be as inexpensive as a free app, but you might want to consider spending the modest bucks for an advanced hardware metronome that offers more features. Or even a drum machine - they can make a very good metronome substitute. One approach that some people really like is having drum patterns or alternative sounds rather than just a choice or a click, clap or beep sound. Some people find it more inspiring to practice to a looped MIDI drum pattern than to a steady CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK... and some metronomes have that capability now.

The key to working on parts with a metronome is start slow and gradually work your way through ever-increasing tempos, only moving to the next faster tempo once you've mastered the part at the slower tempo. Rinse and repeat until you can play the part a tempo - at the original, intended "full" speed.

The more you use a metronome and concentrate on playing in time, without rushing or dragging, the better your time tends to get. It also helps you to listen and to adjust what you're doing to what you're hearing - which is another very useful skill for musicians to practice and develop.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Who is Samal 50 anyway? This guy is the Sherlock Holmes of untrolling.
        Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

You may find this interesting...

As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
          from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

Working...
          X