New Tuner Day

DeepEnd

• Members

New Tuner Day but not for me. A woman who recently joined the praise band at church has been asking me to make sure her guitar was in tune. I found an Eno ET-3100C on eBay and bought it for her. $4 Best Offer, shipped. Here's an internet pic:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"ET3100C.jpg","data-attachmentid":32278471}[/ATTACH]

It works well with a guitar (I didn't try it with a bass) and it's well worth 4 bucks. The eBay description didn't mention it but that price included a battery. You can set it to use either vibration sensing through the clip or the internal mike. It has a fairly large display and a huge, sturdy looking clip, better suited for sealing a bag of chips. It does have an odd "feature" I can't figure out: It's chromatic but it has a button to select the "key", as indicated in the lower right corner of the display: C, F, Bb, or Eb. Is that perhaps for use with different instruments like trumpets maybe? The only drawback is that the battery is a pain to install but that's not something you'd do very often in my experience. Try one if you get a chance and need a cheap tuner.

• Members

Nice

I have a few tuners

A Peterson VS1, which is no longer made. a Boss TU 12 sits in my electric pedalboard set up, and a couple of Itellitouch PT 10's clip ons, which I use often.

Back in the day, it cost more for a set of pitch pipes, than you just paid for the clip on tuner

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGmZaeZ1AA9NbK2BZIbyzPHAqz4KcZWWvWiU3UqxVZ1daPBgP3.jpg","data-attachmentid":32278509}[/ATTACH]

My first electronic tuner was on of these.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"xvksg1hjuhty7oe3aexc.jpg","data-attachmentid":32278510}[/ATTACH]

• Members

It's truly amazing what 4 bucks will buy, isn't it? My first electronic tuner was a Wittner GT2. It was also the first thing I bought on eBay. I still have it and use it for setups because of the analog indicator:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"GT2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32278549}[/ATTACH]

My quick-and-dirty tuner is a sound file on my phone that I created for the purpose. Similar to a pitch pipe. I've described it in the DIY Forum.

• Members

We did an interesting experiment at the music store a while back. We took every electronic tuner out of the display case, tapped an A440 tuning fork and observed what they heard. Over one half of the tuners thought the fork needed tuning.

Guess that's why they have the little 'calibrate' buttons.....

• Members

Those little eno tuners are great. I have been using them since Terry Allen Hall (RIP) touted them here years ago. They are cheap enough to buy by the dozen and keep in every guitar case and on every flat surface. I don't know how well they correspond to a metal tuning fork, but they definitely work great keeping your strings in tune to each other.

• Members
Those little eno tuners are great. I have been using them since Terry Allen Hall (RIP) touted them here years ago. They are cheap enough to buy by the dozen and keep in every guitar case and on every flat surface. I don't know how well they correspond to a metal tuning fork' date=' but they definitely work great keeping your strings in tune to each other.[/quote']

My normal "test" is to tune the guitar by ear using reference tones and then use the tuner to see what it says. If it's at least as good as my ears it's good enough for me.

• Members

There is nothing wrong with tuning your guitar to a reference thats a little sharp or flat until you want to play with your buddy who is tuned to another reference who is a little bit sharp or flat.

I used to watch lots of guitar instruction videos - Grossman et al - and they always started out by tuning the students guitar to the instructors. They might both be out of tune but at least they were out of tune together.

• Members

In slightly related arts subject:1 of my gits is an Ovation VXT with the iconic boat tail, whale tail, whatever headstock. Designed long before clip on tuners, but if wanted to design headstock to frustrate clip ons, this is it. Tuner on left is Crafter I typically use (it shows up well in bright Thai sun at beach). Notice it barely reaches the flat section. On right Superfly I got as bonus for some purchase. That one has deep enough jaws to clear the curve and scoop, but not so bright. I'm old geezer, so don't want to take a stand alone inline tuner. Every ounce counts when packing kit down to beach in mid day Tropic sun. Thanks for letting me whinge.

fetch?filedataid=138912&type=thumb

d35295d28e4a8725cc421a06248f42ba.jpg.496628b9852ff3fdaf21914d6ae3f732.jpg

• Members
In slightly related arts subject:1 of my gits is an Ovation VXT with the iconic boat tail' date=' whale tail, whatever headstock. Designed long before clip on tuners, but if wanted to design headstock to frustrate clip ons, this is it. . . .[/quote']

This little Eno would probably fit an Ovation. As I mentioned, the clip is huge. And the display seemed fairly bright to me but I was indoors. Unfortunately I don't have an Ovation handy to test my theory. :(

• Members

Does look like has a bit deeper jaws than most. The bright sun over here is deceptively brighter than it seems... I have had ebay account, but it is a pain in the arse. I'd like to order things to pick up when I return to USA, but can't seem to find a way to set shows items in US$ and not auto decide I want them shipped to Thailand. A wise person avoids the extortion racket known as Thai customs.

• 5 months later...

Archived