VOM1T June 2018

garthman

• Members

Ooops. I had it in my mind that VOM was due next weekend. However, upon checking the calendar, I find it was due the last one.

So, better late than never. Please let's have your offerings - I shall be along later.

• Members

Etienne Rambert - Really nice. It has a CSNY vibe. I've heard far worse on the radio.

BTW, since Idunno hasn't posted yet I suspect your comments were meant for me. Thanks for the kind words. To be honest, I record vocals and guitar with a single condenser mike. My voice tends to be softer than an unamplified guitar so I have the mike at mouth height and it picks up the guitar off axis.

• Members
Etienne Rambert - Really nice. It has a CSNY vibe. I've heard far worse on the radio.

BTW, since Idunno hasn't posted yet I suspect your comments were meant for me. Thanks for the kind words. To be honest, I record vocals and guitar with a single condenser mike. My voice tends to be softer than an unamplified guitar so I have the mike at mouth height and it picks up the guitar off axis.

Very sorry for the mistake. Corrected.

I also am a big fan of 1 mic doing it all. I am sick of all the recording complications.

I am not a big fan of CSN&Y. The singer & I had originally performed it as a finger-picking Gordon Lightfoot kind of song. I liked it better that way. But he had a string band & was something of a studio perfectionist.

So there was no 1 and dun on that one.

• Members

I've been sticking to my one recording per week schedule, so here are a couple from the last few weeks. Both traditionals, instrumentation and recording process is the same. Everything but the acoustic bass was recorded with a Rode NT1a large diaphragm condenser mic. I recorded the acoustic bass with a GLS Audio ES57, which is an SM57 clone.

The Rake

Johnny Jump Up

• Members

I also am a big fan of 1 mic doing it all. I am sick of all the recording complications.

For simplicity sake, I mostly agree. The exception for me is recording the bass. Condenser mics don't do well with the higher SPL from the bass, so I tend to use a dynamic mic for that. The way my studio space is setup, those two mics are always setup. 99% of what I capture goes through the Rode NT1a. It's a bit bright, but works well enough for me.

MrHarryReems - Well done on both counts. As I said before' date=' I'm envious of multi instrumentalists. I don't hear traditional music near as often as I should. Good on you for keeping it going. :thu:[/quote']

Thank you for the kind words! Do you strictly play guitar? It's never too late to add on another instrument! I tend to try to learn whatever it is I need to make the noise I want to make. Really hard to find dedicated players out here in the middle of the Pacific..

• Members
. . . Thank you for the kind words! Do you strictly play guitar? It's never too late to add on another instrument! I tend to try to learn whatever it is I need to make the noise I want to make. Really hard to find dedicated players out here in the middle of the Pacific..

I play various instruments--guitar, bass, bad clawhammer banjo, noodle around on mandolin--but I don't play anything that doesn't have frets. I know and play with others who play, for example, trumpet and bass, or piano/organ and flute, and I sometimes regret not being able to play a greater variety of instruments myself.

• Members

thanks it was only slower because i have only just learnt it and this was the only chance i had to record it at the moment with charlotte, because she was going back home up north which is a couple of hours away from here i will pass on the virtual applause.

• Members

Great stuff everyone.

Like I said earlier: better late than never.

"Leaves That Are Green" by Paul Simon

https://app.box.com/s/efzxjyte07nk729z3awkh51tr23cxjq1

A quick and rudimentary recording yet again (USB computer microphone straight into Audacity - no time to dig out the better stuff). So warts and all, I'm afraid. I must do a more polished version sometime - it's a great song

Archived