Options for leaving acoustic in car?

BOSSMANiv

• Members

Quick guitar care question for y'all. My wife and I are going on vacation next week and will be stopping at an amusement park one day on the way to destination (travelling by car) and don't plan on staying in any hotel or anything nearby the park. Basically looking like I either don't take my nice Martin GPCA4 with me or else I'll have to leave in in the trunk for basically a full day out in the parking lot while we're in the park (Kings Dominion in VA if you're curious). The thing is, part of our trip involves recording part of an upcoming EP in the studio at our destination so I would love to have my nicer guitar with me instead of my beat up old washburn campfire guitar. Also, I'm a lefty so the studio isn't going to have any lefty guitars around I can use. Y'all got any wise ideas on safely leaving the guitar in a trunk in a non-covered parking lot for ~8-10 hours this time of year (High reported to be 86 degrees)? I thought about surrounding the guitar with ice packs or bags of ice? Anyone had experience getting an amusement park to hold it somewhere safe for you in the air condition? I'll have an electric bass too but I'm less worried about that. Any good ideas?

I'd call the park in advance and see if you can arrange to have it safely stored by them while you're visiting the park. The worst they can say is "no".

86 is pretty warm - I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my acoustic in a car trunk for an extended period of time when it's that warm outside.

• Members
68F is not very hot. Keep the guitar in its case and wrap a blanket or two around it.

I think he mentioned '86'; that would be enough to concern me. No real ideas how to mitigate it, I'm afraid; cars act like they were DESIGNED as hothouses...

Larry

• Members

Thanks for the responses y'all. Yea, I'm definitely not going to leave it in the trunk. Finally heard back from the park and they said it wouldn't be a problem to store it in the lost and found building (air conditioned) for the day.

• Members

The old (and wise) advice about not keeping your guitar at temperature/environment you wouldn't be comfortable in applies I would think. I like idea of arrangement with amusement park, but I would add "be sure in locking case and chain it to some immovable object". I'm not saying park is dishonest, but storing your gems not part of usual operations. People go in and out of various areas, sometimes no one there. Remove the temptation, or at least make it look like too much work.

Archived