VOM1T May 2018

garthman

• Members

May already. Gosh! And I've had no chance to record anything having spent a pleasant week in Somerset. So I'll be along later.

But please post your submissions when you're ready.

PS. We did discuss how (or if) VOM1T should continue a few years ago. It was suggested that perhaps we should have an open-ended VOM where people could contribute whenever they wished but we stayed with the monthly format because IIRC it was felt that it was a spur to record new stuff. Does the open-ended format have any appeal? Or are we happy with the monthly format? Any new ideas?

• Members

By open ended, if you are describing a VOM whereby people contribute their music under the VOM banner, on any given day of the month, it should work just fine and removes the monthly formality.

Anecdotal -

In the waaay back (2004) when I was a noob here I suggested such a thing but people were not responsive. Some years later I think it was bramz118 (I'm hazy on that) who suggested the VOM1T name and another prominent member (Chris Baker - aka Stackabones) launched it as the host of the monthly thing we're now familiar with. There was already some discussion about music contributions but I'm pretty sure it was the VOM1T name suggestion that got it launched. I was fine with it but it still wasn't the laissez-faire culture I thought the music aspect of the forum should evolve into.

The reality of the forum for me was a disappointment because when I first discovered HCAGF, without much time perusing it, I thought I'd stumbled upon a trove of players ready to give it up at any given request. I quickly learned it was more about people infatuated with the instrument itself, rather than the music, and relatively little interest in contributing the former. At that time there wasn't anything more I needed to know about acoustic guitars and I could not have cared less about joining the whole construction psyche, which the forum devolved into in lieu of a musical membership.

Being the most popular acoustic guitar forum on the web at the time one might think a whole separate music forum would have evolved. But, nope. Krash bailed and started his own musical forum at The Krash Site, invited HCAGF members to take part in it, but got called a traitor by HCAGF forum toughs who'd managed to create a clique of anti-establishment geeks whose antics took the forum south (no adequate moderation). Making music took on a tainted stigma.

Where is this going?

Forum mismanagement by HCAGF staff at the time allowed all remotely tangential topics to exist in one forum and it should have recognized the need to break them out, like The AGF does, to preserve them within their own scopes of discussion. Music would have had it's own forum with the benefit of informal contributing being the culture. And, here we are some dozen years later and nothing has changed.

Edit: I was doing some Spring cleaning today and found the HCAGF Member's Music Archive gathered by Freeman and sent to me some few years back. I just listened to Garthman's Jack Tar 1 and now Marc Ellis' Private First-Class Frank Vellon(sp?) is playing.

Thanks again, Freeman.

• Members

For my part, I prefer the monthly format because it gives me incentive to record something more-or-less once a month. However, having said that, in a dazzling display of irony, I won't be participating this month because I'm fighting a nasty cold, currently going into its third week. :( I hope to have a new original recorded this time next month.

• Members

I've been trying to record something at least once a week. Here's one from a couple of weeks ago.

Here's a song I recorded last week. It's a tune I wrote about Captain Roberts, AKA Black Bart the pirate. The Dread Pirate Roberts in the Princess Bride was modeled after him. He was the third mate on the Princess when the pirate Captain Davis captured his ship and enslaved him. Davis took a liking to him and took him on as a valet, teaching him everything he knew. When Davis died, the crew started following Roberts. Roberts eventually became one of the most successful pirates ever to live.

Captain Roberts

• Members
MrHarryReems - Two very enjoyable tunes in the folksinger/troubadour tradition. I've always envied folks who can pull off the "one man band" thing like you did with "Black Velvet Band." Well done.

Thank you! Living in the most remote place in the world means that I pretty much have to do everything myself. I played all of the instruments on Captain Roberts as well, but didn't have the time to finish a video last week, as I usually post new stuff to a different forum for our weekly Play! thread when I can.

• Members

Mr. Harry Weems: Very nice. Professional & well-played all of it.

Your voice is excellent.

Etienne Rambert - Can't recall the last time I heard that. Nice job with your own unique stamp.

I should be set up next week to start recording again. It's taken over a year

to get it all together.

One of the early projects will be to do that one over again w/ a different

chord arrangement. But I'll do it the same way:

One mic.

Vocal & guitar recorded at the same time.

Bass track either recorded before or after.

I'll use my big arch-top for the new version. I used my GUILD F65ce on that version.

It was nice.But the arch-top adds something to a few fancier chords I plan to use.

Wow! I really like this! Very nice work on the bass! What are you using for a mic?

Thanks. I have had good luck with CAD mics. That was a CAD condenser I used for years. It was destroyed when I shipped it back to the States.

Next time I'll use a CAD E300. It is HUGE.

No reason why I cannot mic everything atonce w/ that monster.

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.electricroom.com.au\/wp-content\/uploads\/2015\/09\/cad-e300.jpg"}[/img2]

• Members
garthman - Well done. There's something about "rudimentary" stripped down arrangements that appeals to me' date=' probably because that's all I do. ;)[/quote']

Thanks, Deep. Yeah, "stripped down", pretty much sums up my style too.

• Members
Hello again.

A Satisfied Mind by Joe "Red" Hayes and Jack Rhodes.

https://app.box.com/s/lg4yafuq0nq76iiz9bh5rs32imf07b7v

I posted a version of this a few years ago but this is a new - and very quick and rudimentary - recording done about a 1/2 hour ago with a simple USB mic. Played on my nylon string Ovation-alike..

Very clean and well done!

• Members
Hello again.

A Satisfied Mind by Joe "Red" Hayes and Jack Rhodes.

https://app.box.com/s/lg4yafuq0nq76iiz9bh5rs32imf07b7v

I posted a version of this a few years ago but this is a new - and very quick and rudimentary - recording done about a 1/2 hour ago with a simple USB mic. Played on my nylon string Ovation-alike..

Reminds me of some of early Leonard Cohen's arrangements Garthman - especially his second album -- SONGS FROM A ROOM. That's a big compliment.

Well-done.

• Members

Good stuff, everyone.

Re the future of VOM:

So far we have Joe favouring an open-ended format and Deep going for the current monthly one. With 3 submissions this month from MrHarryReems would it be pushing the boat out to say he's an open-ended sort of guy? I suppose I favour the monthly format - like Deep I find it's a spur ro record something.

Anyone else have a firm opinion?

Archived