No announcement yet.

Tuning up - Should I be concerned

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning up - Should I be concerned

Recently started looking at Pearl Jam's song Daughter which is in GGDGAD. What should be my concern level of tuning some pricey instruments up? The E goes up 1 1/2 steps.
    2008 Guild F-50
    2015 Martin 00-DB
    2013 Gibson J45
    2016 Martin 00-17S

I'd be inclined to buy an extra A string and replace the low E with it. Very light strings would probably work but you'd have two G's with very different tension.
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

So its bascially DADGAD with the 5th down to G and the 6th up to E? According to the D'Addario chart a 0.053 goes from 25.5 pounds to 36.1, a 0.056 goes from 29.3 to 41.4. The rest of your strings will be going down in tension so the overall affect on the neck and action won't be bad but I do worry about that 6th string. In fact most people who play in DADGAD use mediums to bump the tension up. For one song once in a while I might consider tuning lights that way and put up with the high tension in the 6th and light on everything else, if I was going to leave a guitar in that tuning I'd put mediums on it with a 45 or so on the bottom.

I'm not familiar with the song - do you really need the double G's? Do you fret them differently or are they just drones? If so I would consider not playing the 6th at all - just like all those chords with the X on the string that doesn't work

Comment

do what keith richards does and don`t even put the bottom string on in other words a 5 string .
        Consternoon Aftable

Comment

Working...
        X