VOM1T April 2018

garthman

• Members

Hello everyone. Another late start, sorry - spending a few days in County Durham.

This months submission is a short instrumental of an Incredible String Band song called "First Girl I Loved". Written by Robin Williamson and I have no idea how he manages to sing as well as play this.

"First Girl I Loved" by The Incredible String Band.

https://app.box.com/s/xiebc2e7yfcuiyoatm7ts6ful2rsnkv5

• Members

Lovely playing Garthman.

One of my favorite movies came on TCM last night.

It inspired this little ditty twelve years ago. I wrote & recorded it in a Saigon hotel room the day after watching the movie on late night TV.

Suzy Wong is All Right

It's one of my favorite movie scores by the very under-rated George Duning.

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.soundtrackcollector.com\/cd\/large\/World_of_Suzie_Wong_LOC1059.jpg"}[/img2]

• Members

https://app.box.com/s/lpbw0cht2qaxpoj4lh432avyixjslces

Minstrel Of The Dawn - Gordon Lightfoot. Apologies for the reverb. The amp was set for another venue and I didn't tweak it for the man cave. Usual rig of Yamaha classical>Fishman SA220>Zoom H4. This time the recording is a raw 1-take loaded from the Zoom H4 to box-dot-net without dragging it through a DAW.

• Members

DeepEnd: I'm not much of a Dylan fan but you you play & sing it very well.

I'm no great singer. But I learned after watching clips of the Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim TV special on Youtube, that singing was a form of acting. Sinatra really had that down. He was sitting in a chair. Yet, when he started singing - he started acting.

With a line like this:

"I'd go hungry, I'd go black and blue;

I'd go crawling down the avenue;

There isn't anything I wouldn't do,

To make you feel my love;"

That's tailor-made for a bit of dramatic acting.

I've always thought there were two big questions about singing.

1. Can you hit the note? (In your case - the answer is YES).

2. Can you act the part? (I didn't learn that bit until watching Sinatra/Jobim)

---

Idunno:

I love Lightfoot's work. You do it very well. Your guitar playing was excellent & you did not neglect the subtle vocal dynamics Lightfoot always had in his best recordings.

Good job.

--

DeepEnd:

Unfortunately, the only vid I can find from that Sinatra-Jobim masterpiece is this one.

My favorite cuts are CHANGE PARTNERS & BAUBLES & BEADS. But you can see the acting both by Sinatra & Jobim in this cut.

(Orchestration by the immortal Claus Ogermann)

NldPFVKYmiw

REVISITING A MASTERPIECE - NPR

• Members

Hi there, some great contributions this month . Here`s a song by a band i was in some 8 years ago, we recorded a couple of the shows with a multitrack recorder and here`s one song from the set. we used to play lots of Pink Floyd tunes and i only ever sung the lead vocals on a couple of the songs in the set , it`s our version of Fearless from Pink Floyds Meddle album, i used to play this album to death in my younger days ,hope you like it.

• Members

Deep - you're probably right - it should have been this coming weekend - I glanced quickly at the calendar and thought the 1st was a Saturday (not Sunday) so that would have meant last weekend was the 3rd one of the month. Sorry for the confusion.

• Members
DeepEnd: I'm not much of a Dylan fan but you you play & sing it very well.

I'm no great singer. But I learned after watching clips of the Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim TV special on Youtube, that singing was a form of acting. Sinatra really had that down. He was sitting in a chair. Yet, when he started singing - he started acting.

With a line like this:

"I'd go hungry, I'd go black and blue;

I'd go crawling down the avenue;

There isn't anything I wouldn't do,

To make you feel my love;"

That's tailor-made for a bit of dramatic acting.

I've always thought there were two big questions about singing.

1. Can you hit the note? (In your case - the answer is YES).

2. Can you act the part? (I didn't learn that bit until watching Sinatra/Jobim) . . .

Thanks for your kind words. I've always thought of myself as having a decent voice but nowhere near Sinatra's orbit. For whatever reason I find "Make You Feel My Love" difficult vocally, even though I can play it well enough. As for the lyrics, not to get preachy but they remind me of Christ demonstrating God's love.

• Members

Catscurl: Very tight. I’m no fan of classic rock. But the singing is good & the band plays it well.

Thanks for your kind words. I've always thought of myself as having a decent voice but nowhere near Sinatra's orbit. For whatever reason I find "Make You Feel My Love" difficult vocally, even though I can play it well enough. As for the lyrics, not to get preachy but they remind me of Christ demonstrating God's love.

My only point was the best singers know how to act w/ their voices.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
by catscurl: "Hi there,i`m gonna be greedy vis munf and put up another tune ,this is a pop tune i wrote and recorded in cubase. as always i hope you like it, thanks

Catscurl:

That is one of the best things I've ever heard at HC. Very impressive. The writing - recording - playing - the vocal - the lyrics -- flawless.

Wow.

Archived