Nylon strings on a folk guitar?

Delmont

• Members

My sister's been playing folk guitar for a long time. She never uses steel strings, always nylon.

It actually doesn't sound bad, and it discourages other people (like me) from playing her instruments.

What do you think? Is it a waste of a good guitar? Is she going to hell?

• Members

By "folk guitar" I assume you mean some sort of small bodied guitar that was designed for steel strings. It could also mean the type of music associate with early folk songs. In the first case it wouldn't be my choice for a lot of reasons but if it works for her, what difference does my opinion make. In the second case it doesn't matter at all - you can play any kind of music on any kind of guitar (or strings).

From a playability standpoint, either she had done a lot of work to make nylon strings work on a guitar designed for steel (nut, relief, action, intonation, pins, tuners.....) or the guitar is no where near its best.

• Members

I've put ball end nylons on acoustics before without too much problem. Then again, I am not too picky and just adapt to peculiarities nylons bring. Yeah, the nylons sit up higher in the nut and don't make same sort of contact as would with wider slots, but don't need to cut a new nut... tuning pegs smaller and there is that long time required to stretch fully... not being a pro or even a wanna be pro, just go down to the beach and pluck kinda guy not so bothered by "lowered expectations" tho I would like to get one of those hybrid nylon gits: as good a target for GAS as any I reckon.

• Members
My sister's been playing folk guitar for a long time. She never uses steel strings, always nylon.

It actually doesn't sound bad, and it discourages other people (like me) from playing her instruments.

What do you think? Is it a waste of a good guitar? Is she going to hell?

Depends on the guitar. There's a big difference between playing "folk guitar" and playing "a folk guitar."

It could be a waste of a good guitar in more ways than one. If you put nylon strings on a guitar designed for steel strings it will sound terrible. If you put steel strings on a guitar designed for nylon strings, you'll quickly destroy it.

• Members
By "folk guitar" I assume you mean some sort of small bodied guitar that was designed for steel strings. . . .

I mean flattop steel-string guitar - what's called an acoustic guitar these days.

Looks like I should stop calling them that.

• Members

Depends on the guitar. There's a big difference between playing "folk guitar" and playing "a folk guitar."

It could be a waste of a good guitar in more ways than one. If you put nylon strings on a guitar designed for steel strings it will sound terrible. If you put steel strings on a guitar designed for nylon strings, you'll quickly destroy it.

Yup. I should've pluralized it. She plays folk guitars. She doesn't get a bad sound, but she doesn't get the sound I aim at.

The main thing is, it doesn't hurt a steel-string guitar to put nylon on it. So she should live and be happy.

• Members

I don't see an issue with it for strumming behind vocals. It's a nice gentle inoffensive sound.

I'd really struggle if I went to see a virtuoso acoustic guitarist and the strings weren't driving the box the way it was designed.

Like if Tommy E started using Billy Gibbons .007 electric strings on his Matons. The dynamics and overtones would be gone. It would still be a good show, but...

• Members

I've seen it done a few times over the years. The first time was back in the 70's with nylon strings on an OM size Guild. Most recently it was on a cheap Bentley dread. I've never thought it sounded very good but that could be a matter of taste.

• Members

I put a set of D'Addario EJ44 strings on a Martin HPL contraption I bought to bash into a crossover and it sounds okay. I lent it to a noob and now he's looking for one to similarly bash. But, I only used it plugged, like he does, so I make no assertions about its unplugged sound. Otherwise, I'm a convert to nylon strings. Today I visited GC and played an Ibanez GA35 cross-over. Not a bad product for 3 bills. The electronic panel is in a stoopid place, under the arm pit, but otherwise it's okay for plugged work (only).

Archived