"Is My Guitar Sick" and "What To Do About A Sick Guitar"

will-go

• Members

Freeman Keller may be willing to rewrite the above classics - invaluable in assessing and troubleshooting issues that are critical for a "healthy", optimally functioning acoustic guitar. This includes neck relief, action, intonation, nut, bridge and saddle parameters, and more. These two treatises are no longer available (lost, defunct archives). If there is enough interest expressed here, we might provide the little push Freeman needs for the project. Please chime in if you would like to see these recreated.

• Members

Hello forum. I previously contacted Freeman about his "sick guitar" postings, which, as far as I can tell, are lost in cyberspace. Various posters have expressed interest in them in the past. He may be up for a redo if there is sufficient interest. About me ... I like guitars, and would like to learn more.

• Members

T_e_l_e (and others), I think Will-go is legit and am willing to give him the benefit of doubt. He contacted me by PM and asked if I would re-do the old Sick Guitar posts. Those threads are probably ten years old, but tried to take a do it youself person through the steps of evaluating his/her guitar and then doing the reasonable adjustments to make it better.

The threads were very popular and the Admin at the time made them stickies. They were rewritten for the HC Annex which was an attempt to archive them. However threads get lots, links get broken, the Annex went away, but several people, like Will-go have come to me and asked if I would re do them.

Since then I have refined my evaluation methods, developed a spreadsheet, taken better pictures. My methods work for any instrument, acoustic, electric, bass, uke - they are scientific yet easy to understand.

I suggested to Will-go that he start this thread and told him that if there was enough interest I would consider rewriting them. Frankly its going to be a lot of work but I don't mind if there is a need. I'm pretty disappointed with HC right now - its hard too get enthusiastic over a dead forum but, again, this might put a little life back..

So, I'm going to sit back and watch this thread and maybe do a little thinking about Sick Guitars

• Members

Personally, Freeman I think you should take a third party out of the mix and get your own website/blog through Wordpress and put the link in your signature. I don't put a lot of stock in the admins showing the initiative given how views have dropped here over the last decade.

• Members

Freeman, it would be nice to have that information available to new owners and other folks who don't work on guitars on a regular basis. FWIW, I'm with kwakatak about getting your own site but whatever works for you is fine.

• Members

Thanks Neil and Deep, but the last thing I want is a web page. I have nothing to sell, no reason to promote myself (I get all the repair work I want thru my local store and referrals). I'm not on social media and have dramatically backed off from several other forums.

I love HC and still remember its glory days, but lets face it, its dying and I'm having a hard time getting enthusiastic about putting any more effort into long threads. I've quit doing build threads even tho I'm still building. Photobucket has become such a hassle that I've quit using it, and yes, HC offers a way to embed photos but it too is a hassle.

If you guys remember a long time ago HC went thru one of its flaky stages and we created the Annex to archive the music and articles that had been posted there. As you know, HC somehow weathered the storm but the Annex didn't - I learned at that time just how difficult maintaining a web page really is. I decided that wasn't for me.

'

I've had some PM and e-mail discussion with Will-go and I hope I am supplying him with the information he needs to work on his guitar. I'll always do that - either on or off the forum - its just the way I am.

Archived