1998 Early J45

EarlyJ45

• Members

They're made by Gibson and have been around a long time. People describe the tone as "dry" compared with a typical Martin spruce/rosewood.

I've also heard that you have to play several to find a really good one, but that's a standard recommendation with Gibson. I haven't played a bad one.

• Members

i snagged what is essenially a New Old Stock '98. it was put aside by a dealer and sold in an estate. it's very nice. i do wonder what era they were going for. from what i can tell they tried to stay pretty pure with it, even the neck profile seems vintagey. thanks!

• Members

doing a little more digging... judging by the bridge, the logo, and the pick guard, it looks like they combined some elements from J45s between 1948 and 1955. interestingly, it looks pretty much like a 1952 would look in my birth year (1952)

• Members

Wow. A 20 year old guitar that's essentially unplayed. That's cool and having the appointments coincide with the year you were born is even better. BTW, it would probably pay you to check out the neck angle on a 20 year old guitar if it's been tuned to anything close to pitch all those years.

• Members

Deep End. i know! i think a new 20 year old guitar really appealed to me! with the belly up bridge, the specs are probably are more like 1950 through '54. the luthier i use played it yesterday, and is going to add an end pin for me and tweak it. he said it was pretty much everything you'd want in a J45. it's always nice to have one's decisions reinforced!

Archived