VOM1T December 2017

garthman

• Members

Hi Howard ,sorry to show my ignorance as usual but is that welsh .anyhow lovely stuff ,that is one of my all time fave carol`s and it`s in the same key as my contribution ,great minds.

here`s one that will be made into a Xmas carol down the line at some point. i`ve had to fit in learning this one in between work, so it took a few takes . done on the old EKO Rio Grande tuned down a full tone .i adore this tune by Lennon it gives me goose (or even turkey) bumps , it`s Happy Xmas War Is Over ,hope you like it thanks.https://soundcloud.com/user-282584942/happy-xmas-war-is-over

• Members

Very nice, both of you. And Howard, thank you so much for keeping the VOM on life support - that has always been a special part of this little group and I still listen each month. I wish I could contribute but the old hosting site is pretty much dead and I really don't have the energy to do something else. So last night I played Jingle Bells and Silent Night and Greensleeves - you'll have to pretend you can hear it.

• Members

Since I didn't have anything last month this month is a two-fer. No carols but both are Christmas themed. The first is an original called "Two O'Clock On Christmas Morning," written in 2005 when my voice was apparently higher. ;) (It doesn't help that I'm fighting a cold either.) It's in the Simon and Garfunkel vein and reflects the fact that not everyone's Christmas is merry: http://kiwi6.com/file/rtbwkjajog.

The second is another "original," with apologies to Hall and Oates, called "Santa's List." The tempo is off a bit but I hope you'll enjoy it: http://kiwi6.com/file/lz6qo203gd.

I'll have to listen to everyone else's submissions later.

• Members

garthman - Well done. I haven't heard it in Welsh in a while. My wife sings it in German.

catscurlyear - Nice job. That one definitely deserves to be a carol. Maybe someday it will be.

Freeman - You definitely need to find a new place to host music. You played well in my imagination but it's not the same. ;)

• Members

well done deepend "Two O'Clock On Christmas Morning," great tune .the lyrics sound clever but i didn`t quite understand if there was a story or if each verse was a different circumstance,very good all the same .

Santa's List,great spin on the hall and oats tune ,i could imagine Will Ferrell singing that one.

• Members

Thanks cats. No, there's no "story," just a series of "vignettes," I guess you'd say. Different people having Christmases that don't fit the standard definition of "merry," people we often forget while surrounded by family and friends. A friend and I sang it as a duet the year I wrote it during a Christmas Eve service.

The idea for "Santa's List" came to me a couple of weeks ago and it's just plain fun.

• Members

Thanks for picking up the slack, Garth! Actually, I didn't get too busy for HCAG. I've been doing the traveling thing for about 8 years. I stopped posting because it suddenly became very difficult to log in (some site "upgrade" I guess), and also it seemed like the "bad apples" were beginning to hold sway on the forum. I didn't really mean to stay away for so long, but I did think the whole enterprise had sort of run its course.

I have continued playing, writing songs and recording. In recent years it's been much more a collaborative thing for me--songwriting and performing. When I started on HCAG in '03 I had never played "out", and now I do that pretty regularly, but almost never as a solo act. So much more fun to play with others. I don't have a lot of band recordings yet, but will post some in future VOM1Ts!

Here's a recording of the previous band (The Lawn Chairs), that ceased operations because the other three members were students in my program who graduated in 2016 and moved out of state. This is from a small show (October 2015) where we opened for Pieta Brown (Greg Brown's daughter). The song was co-written by me and our frontman Molly, who is singing the main vocal part.

• Members

No worries, Michael. Yes - we've had our share of dark days here but we are trying to keep a candle burning. Sorry to hear of the demise of The Lawn Chairs - you were a good little band - but I'm sure something else will come along. No, in the past I didn't "play out much" either but about a year ago I joined an informal "song circle" type folk club and I'm enjoying it a lot. Hope you stay around.

• Members
extollo - That was just great. Very well played and well sung. Is everything on that track you (i.e.' date=' all the instruments and vocals)? It wouldn't surprise me if it is.[/quote']

Yea. There is a lot of rich stuff to be mined from those sufjan arrangements. Lots of learning to be had

Archived