No announcement yet.

Kinda Off Topic -Advice Needed

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinda Off Topic -Advice Needed

I've been thinking about getting a video camera to record myself playing guitar and singing to attempt to improve both of those things. I'd like to get something better than my iPhone, although
    maybe that might be the best option. What do you folks recommend?
    carguy

logitech stuff works for me

Comment

GoPro?

Comment

More often than not, I just use my iPhone or an iPad. Works fine for me.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Logitech works for me. A lot cheaper than a Gopro. Just clamp it on my music stand.

A large mirror can be useful too. Seriously.
          __________________________________________________ _________
          Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society.

Comment

I tried the video thang. In my case I decided it best to leave that stuff to the beautiful people and stick to sound only. I have thought of making a demo of how to play something. It stopped there.
            “There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution.”
            John Adams, The Works Of John Adams, Second President Of The United States

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace in a continual state of alarm (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing them with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
            H.L. Mencken

Comment

I have been using my Zoom H4 with headphones to practice my singing with. I get the instant feedback of hearing through the headphones and I have the recording to play back. Can't see how the video would help playing or singing. It could be good for performance. Any camera. or phone will do.

Comment

You know, the more I think about it, as several of you suggested, I may just use my iPhone. I really don't need anything fancy, just to watch myself play and sing. I'm just interested to see how I look when I perform. Maybe I can correct some bad habits. I can always step up to a more expensive video camera later if it comes to that. Thanks for the suggestions!
                carguy

Comment

I use a mirror.
                  Del
                  www.thefullertons.net
                  ( •)—:::
                  Sent on my six-string jumbo ukelele

Comment

Just use the iPhone. I use mine and livestream on Periscope (Twitter’s streaming app.) it’s far from studio quality but it gets the point across. I find that if you show a little skin people will come on in and will give you feedback in real time. Some want to see how thick your skin is though
                    Gear:
                    2013 Official Luthier's Forum Medium Jumbo (Western red cedar/mahogany)
                    2012 McKnight McUke (soprano ukulele, redwood/mahogany)
                    2010 Martin D-16GT
                    2006 Larrivee OM-03R
                    1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (natural ash finish)
                    1989 Kramer Stryker
                    197? Epiphone Texan FT-160N

Comment

I'm glad you mentioned about having thick skin. I don't handle criticism very well - one of the things I need to work on. And thanks for the tip about Periscope.
                      carguy

Comment

I've been pretty happy with my Zoom Q3 all these years
                        "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

• katopp
                          katopp commented
                          Editing a comment
                          +1

Working...
                      X