what's a capo for and why some songs require you to have them to play the song?

samal50

• Members

The guitar is normally tuned to 440 hertz (A), or concert pitch as it's normally called. The capo raises that pitch one half step with each successive fret it's placed on. The purpose is usually to set a pitch that most effectively matches the singer's range. Guitar strings simply can't be tensioned at the tuning machines to raise the pitch without risking breakage of the strings or, worse, causing structural harm to the guitar. So, a capo is used for that and does it very well. Slight pitch correction across the strings is normal after placing the capo but it's usually very slight with regard to turning the tuners.

George Harrison's Here Comes The Sun was written with the capo on the 7th fret. He wanted a highly pitched melody under his lyrics on that song to complement his voice and it worked. Plus, certain melodies catch the ear better when played above the concert 440 pitch.

I use one all the time because the classical guitar I play sounds better to my ear pitched one full step (2nd fret), and still falls well within my vocal range.

• Members

Does a capo actually change the tone of the guitar to be more "musical" to the ears? Would a guitar that does not go out of tune, say the headless Steinberger guitars, have the need for a capo or am I mistaking the capo as some tool to stay in tune and be in tune at all times?

• Members

The most common use of a capo is to allow you (the player) to use chord forms that you know in another key. Lets say need to play in the key of B major (maybe because of your voice, maybe because you are playing with other instruments and B fits them better). Lets say you are playing a folk song with the I, IV, and V chords - in B major that would be B, E and F#. The B and F# are kind of difficult to form - they are barre chords and maybe you don't know them well. If you put a capo on your guitar at the second fret and play an A, D and E you are really playing the B major chords but now in a more familiar form.

Lots of people who play bluegrass or folk songs use the capo to change the song to a key that is easier to play or to fit other instruments (like a fiddle maybe). The name for this is "transposing a song to another key".

The second use of the capo is to actually change the sound of the guitar by, in effect, tuning it differently. This is what Idunno is describing. Does it make it more "musical"? Well, maybe, maybe not. Some guitars sound better tuned to something other than concert pitch - really the only way to find out is to buy a capo and experiment.

There is one more esoteric use of the capo (or sometimes several capos) which is to change the pitch of only certain strings. If your guitar is tuned to standard tuning and you put a capo on the second fret but not covering the 6th string you will have the equivalent of "dropped D" tuning but shifted up two semi tones. That is an easy way to get the tonic note in the bass for songs in E. There are many versions of this and it is certainly beyond your primary question.

• Members

I use a capo extensively, mostly to change the voicing of the guitar, as iDunno mentioned in regards to 'Here Comes the Sun'. I also use the capo as a teaching tool, as it forces my students to better learn the fretboard. If they're playing the Am shape with the capo on 5, they're actually playing Dm. The lead sheets I prepare will indicate Dm, so they are forced to transpose. It's also nice when you're playing with two guitars to have one guitar capo up to a different voicing for a fuller sound.

• Members

What they said.

If you decide to buy a capo (and I cannot imagine life without one - or the dozen more or less that I have - I have a compulsion, what can I say?) then I highly recommend the Shubb. The are of the highest quality, don't get in your way and they work great.

• Members

I'm going to add one more comment. I own several capos but I almost never use them. First, I don't sing so I don't have to transpose a song to fit my voice. I rarely play with another instrument so I don't have to transpose to fit them. I am trying (after 40 years of playing) to finally learn the fretboard and how chords are assembled (particularly those beautiful jazz chords) and how to move them around the neck. You almost never see a good jazz player use a capo because she knows the fretboard so well (you almost never see a rock'n'roller because they do so much in the pentatonic scale).

I also use a lot of altered tunings but again, I know which notes I want and where I want them so I just tune accordingly. And I'm almost always tuning something down - sort of anti-capo.

I do use a capo a lot in my repair work to hold strings down while I adjust something. I just don't use them in my playing. YMMV

• Members

More musical? Perhaps in the context of your own ear but not in the generic sense of tone. Higher/lower pitches affect people's sweet spots differently so capo'ing up and down the fretboard would be something your ear directs. Otherwise, no, it isn't a tool to "clamp" the tuning once set at the tuners. It's merely a pitch changing device. Look up Capo, or Capotasto.

• Members

Hey shamal50: $20.00 for a quality capo that will last you for years is not a lot to pay. If you really need to save money you could always use a pencil and some rubber bands, but you really don't want to do that, do you?. Go to Musician's Friend if there isn't a mom & pop music store near you and buy a Shubb and you will be set.

• Members
I see the Shubb here, but it's about $20+. How are the other brands listed on the link below? Is an elastic capo any good?

http://www.sears.com/search=guitar%20capo?sortOption=PRICE_LOW_TO_HIGH&catalogId=12605&storeId=10153&levels=TVs%20%26%20Electronics_Home%20Theater%20%26%20Audio_Musical%20Instruments

The Dunlop with the nylon strap is probably the best of a bad lot. The KKmoon U Shape is a Shubb knockoff. The issue with an elastic capo is that they're difficult to adjust. Same with a spring capo unless it can be adjusted. Plus, elastic wears out. I have no idea where you are but most of us can be serviced by Amazon. Here's a good capo for around $9.00 or 10.00: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0037MA69I/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new. It's a bit futzy to put on and take off but it works well and it's reasonably cheap.

fetch?filedataid=126888

• Members

Ditto. I only use them for two reasons:

- for playing squareneck dobro - and then only for a few keys.

- for taking the necks off my electrics so I don't have to put on new strings every time I fool around with wiring.

On electric guitar, I usually use bar chords, so my forefinger is my capo. On folk guitar, I enjoy figuring out transpositions. I'm not great at it, but that just means I need the practice, right?

• Members

No song requires a capo. But if you want to use particular picking patterns while singing in particular keys, you've pretty much painted yourself into a corner pretty much need one.

Some of my favorite artists use them all the time, but I've never needed one. I just adjust my voice to the prescribed key or figure out the chords in a key that's better for me.

If you're not good at figuring out chord transpositions, there are plenty of chord charts that will do it for you.

It depends on how much you care about nailing someone else's sound. To do that, you'll often need a capo. For example, Albert Collins' electric blues style really demands one.

Bottom line: If you want to play the song your way, you might not need one. I never do.

• Members

I have several, and I use them although I don't sing. I like the Shubbs and the Planet Wves NS and the G7th. But I'll tell ya, that Kyser thing scares me. If/when that one ever failed, it'll poke your eye out of worse.

Like idunno says, George Harrison's Here Comes The Sun only sounds good to my ear capoed up on the 7th fret.

And California dreaming on the 4th. And a few others up there on the neck somewhere.

Electric players usually don't want or need them. Band members tend not to need them.

And, as Freeman says they sure come in handy when you're working on your guitar if you intend to save that set of strings.

• Members

Del, thats interesting that you say you use one on your dobro - what tuning are you using? I've always been told that a good bluegrass dobro player doesn't need to capo when the reset of the band does because he is tuned to "high bass G" or "dobro G" which allows easy transposing with just the steel.

I use standard open G or D when playing lap style and again, since I don't have to fit into a band or my voice that is just fine. However I remember a less video of Kelly Joe Phelps and he plays lap style in open D capo'd all over the neck.

Archived