Opinions on high end Hohner acoustics, especially GE850E???

Sparrow69

• Members

Hey all, am wondering if anyone has experience or opinions on the Hohner GE850E (or other high end Hohner acoustics), see http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscella...9/ge850e/21114

Wondering how they compare with the usual suspects, like Guild, Guild GAD, Taylor, Eastman, etc. Am considering buying one locally (see pics) vs (most likely) a Guild GAD 30. The guitar sounds good, has Shadow electronics, solid spruce top, ebony (laminated) sides and back, ebony fret/bridge and looks awesome. Also, any experience or opinion on the Shadow electronics? Thanks in advance and really hope to hear some feedback on this Hohner guitar. Thanks!

610a18209119fdc5523aab50795fce9c.thumb.JPG.5671e650072c36f32e34a96ac759b448.JPG

b86df57f59975fcb09a0d6fe5107a0e9.thumb.JPG.a5ad6cd4c9d4c3de5e131679d84dd5b6.JPG

3629cbc47ec6e111f9f4c670fa949b60.thumb.JPG.88880743059d7fd4556a5278f3f71192.JPG

• Members

Hohner used to make very nice electrics and basses back in the day but I haven't played any of their acoustics, at least not in several years. That's a lovely guitar but we don't buy with our eyes, at least not entirely. I've never heard anything negative about the Guild GAD models. The Hohner does have laminated back and sides vs. the all solid GAD. If the prices are similar I'd go with solid wood. As for Shadow electronics, I have an aftermarket Shadow pickup in my Ibanez AW120 that I play in worship and I have no complaints. If you have a chance to play both guitars, go with the one that speaks to you. If not, my choice would be the Guild.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't generally like plywood for acoustic guitars. It's fine for electrics and resonators, and it's fine for acoustics with onboard electronics (plugged in, they all sound the same), but too dead (and heavy!) for regular folk guitars.

They do make sense for camping, though, since they're much more bash- and weather-resistant.

• Members
I don't generally like plywood for acoustic guitars. It's fine for electrics and resonators, and it's fine for acoustics with onboard electronics (plugged in, they all sound the same), but too dead (and heavy!) for regular folk guitars.

They do make sense for camping, though, since they're much more bash- and weather-resistant.

What?! You clearly have never had the pleasure of playing some old laminate (plywood) Yamahas. Many people mistakenly believed they were playing solid-topped guitars only to learn later that their Yamaha FG was made of laminate.

Hopefully, the following link will take you to Paul Brady playing on his plywood FG-180. "Dead" and "heavy" indeed!

I've had a couple of Hohner acoustics over the years, but they were older models - a 12 string (with a neck that was too big and chunky for my hands) and a copy of the Gibson solidbody Chet Atkins style nylon string, which was actually a pretty nice guitar. I wish I still had that one. I haven't tried the later models, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help to the OP.

• Members
What?! You clearly have never had the pleasure of playing some old laminate (plywood) Yamahas. Many people mistakenly believed they were playing solid-topped guitars only to learn later that their Yamaha FG was made of laminate. . . .

Except the OP is talking about a guitar that carried a MSRP of $849 in 2007. That's a fair bit of coin for "plywood," especially when he can get solid wood for a similar cash outlay.

• Members

Except the OP is talking about a guitar that carried a MSRP of $849 in 2007. That's a fair bit of coin for "plywood," especially when he can get solid wood for a similar cash outlay.

Fair enough; but I was responding only to the generalization that plywood guitars are not good sounding instruments. Perhaps I am guilty of a thread hijack in which case I apologize.

Archived