Breedlove Discovery vs Washburn Heritage-Hog

viper00085

• Members

I'm shopping for a $299ish Mahogany solid top acoustic to fill out the collection. Recently had an Ibanez AC240 and while it sounded good, I ended up not liking the open pore finish. Really want something with a light gloss finish to it. Size wise looking for a concert or grand auditorium shape (not dread). Think I have it narrowed down to either the Washburn Heritage HG12S or Breedlove Discovery Concert. Found some helpful Youtube videos of the Washburn that sound pretty good, but nothing on the Breedlove Discovery Mahogany for direct comparison.

Any one been able to test/play both or have first hand input on the Breedlove discovery series. Read some good reviews on the spruce model Discovery models and consensus seems to be they are a great value. Any one own a Washburn heritage series that can shed light on their quality? Thanks!

• Members

I haven't played the Discovery Concert in any incarnation but I've liked every Breedlove I have played, including a now-discontinued hog dread, although a couple seemed a bit heavy. That said, the Breedlove has electronics and a cutaway. If you don't need either, don't pay for them. The Washburn is a good bit cheaper but you're only paying for the actual guitar rather than add-ons.

• Members

DE, I don't think the Discovery Concert MH has electronics or a cutaway

http://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-guitars/discovery-concert-mh

Viper, have you played them both? Ideally side by side? The reason I say that is that while I have not played that particular model of Breedlove, of the ones I have played I have never really bonded with any of them. So while DeepEnd says he liked them all, they just didn't fit my needs or style. I guess thats one of the big problems with asking for advice on the internet, eh?

That said, they are pretty similar guitars specification wise - I think you need to just play them both and decide which one fits YOUR needs and style.

Fwiw - I really do like all mahogany guitars - one of my favorites is a little 00 sized 12 fretter. Its a great blues guitar

• Members
DE' date=' I don't think the Discovery Concert MH has electronics or a cutaway . . .[/quote']

My bad. :( I searched for ''Breedlove Discovery Concert Mahogany'' and the ''CE'' model came up, and I just assumed it was the correct one.

To the OP: The Washburn is probably going to sound more ''traditional'' than the Breedlove if that matters. Which one might appeal to you I can't say. As Freeman says, if at all possible, play both.

• Members

I don't know if the OP will come back but these are really apple and oranges guitars. They both have mahogany tops and laminated backs but construction (and I would think sound) are significantly different. I had one of the MIOregon cedar topped Breedloves (probably from Kim's era) in for a refret a year or so ago and I kept it for a week after doing the work. Very nice guitar, nicely built, has its own tone and I simply didn't find it to my liking. Lots of others might however and since it was a completely different model than we are discussing here so really the point is moot.

Archived