who sells a left handed acoustic guitar for "petite women"?

samal50

• Members

Sheryl Crow is 5'3" and plays a big Gibson dreadnought comfortably so the "petite" aspect may not be as important as you'd think. If you're near Houston, Southpaw Guitars should be able to help. And of course there's always Guitar Center. What's your budget? The Breedlove Discovery Concert comes in at around $300. What's available locally?

• Members

Most manufactures do make lefties however a good luthier can convert a righty to lefty. The braces will be backwards but IMHO that doesn't matter much. Fill and reroute the saddle slot, make a new nut, put marker dots on the other side of the fretboard and maybe add or replace the pickguard.

As far as the "petite" size, I would look for short scale and a fairly narrow nut.

• Members
I'm trying to give a gift to someone who's considered "petite" (5'1" about 106 pounds)' date=' preferably a left handed acoustic guitar.[/quote']

My wife is 5'2" and about 115 lbs.

I have many guitars including 2 Taylor GS Mini's, one I got when they first came out. I chose mahogany. The last one I got was a Koa w/ electronics.

My wife was trying to play one of my guitars, she liked the size of the 000 Martins I have and the scale of the Gibson.

I don't know what your budget it's, but they make a lefties. Don't know if you want electronics, but they are out there.

This might work

https://reverb.com/item/6354625-taylor-used-taylor-gs-mini-lefty-w-fishman-electronics-acoustic-electric-guitar

• Members

me as left handed have 3 accoustics, all of them a righties which i hendrixed myself, just filed the nut a bit but did not get a new one.

yes the intonation may be a bit off as the bridge is "upside down" but its not a big issue for me playing over 20 years.

the reason why i have no lefty accoustic is, that models which are available are only in the low end segment, not only in price but also in quality. you get what you pay for and i don't want to play a $200 guitar.

on the other side of the spectrum you could get almost any model as lefty ordered from the manufacturer directly, talking about martin, gibson guild aso, you pay quite a bit more as for the righty and it will be at $2000+ where i don't want to spent this amount of money on an accoustic either...

talking about "mid" price $500-$1000 range there are almost no lefties available, if so the choice is very limited and you must be lucky if what is there meets your taste :(

on the righty side there are thousands of options and models and manufacturers available to chose from and you can buy very great instruments.

thats the reason i bought again a rigthy acoustic, a recording king rd227 for ~$550 a 2 or 3 years ago and i'm very happy with it

have a look at lefties, to see what is there, but then have a look at the righties and compare, and if wanted and needed let a luthier hendrix it for you like freemand suggested you will be better and cheaper off this way...

• Members

noodling around, maybe jamming together at home. I saw a Kona lefty for less than a hundred brand new. I just saw several cheap guitars on Groupon as well that are either brandless so I'm not sure how they perform.

• Members

There are a number of very nice parlor guitar offerings you might want to look at - Recording King, Simon and Patrick, Art & Lutherie, Fender, etc. My son was wanting a smaller acoustic and got a Art & Lutherie Ami and it's quite a nice guitar for not much money.

Lefties get a little more difficult but, at a push, most acoustics can be strung as lefties without too much of a compromise. I'm lefty but gave up years ago and learned to play righty - makes life so much easier when it comes to getting gear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived