NGD - Hand built deep body parlor

missedmyexit

Just got this a little over a week ago. This is from a local luthier here in New Hampshire. Really happy with it so far. It has Chocolate Mango back and sides, which from my understanding is Mango heartwood.

More Pics Here: http://www.edneyguitars.com/style-i-009/

Very nice! :cool2:

Is the top Adirondack spruce?

I know that was hugely popular on pre-war instruments, but due to over-harvesting it was largely unused for years. Seems like I'm seeing more new guitars that use it lately, although mainly from smaller builders. I wonder if they're able to use it due to not needing large amounts of it, or if replanting has led to it becoming more widely available once again. :idk:

I've heard a few acoustics with Adirondack spruce tops, and I really like the sound of it a lot. It seems to be more tonally complex than Sitka... it still has that solid fundamental, but with stronger overtones.

• Members

Very nice! :cool2:

Is the top Adirondack spruce?

I know that was hugely popular on pre-war instruments, but due to over-harvesting it was largely unused for years. Seems like I'm seeing more new guitars that use it lately, although mainly from smaller builders. I wonder if they're able to use it due to not needing large amounts of it, or if replanting has led to it becoming more widely available once again. :idk:

I've heard a few acoustics with Adirondack spruce tops, and I really like the sound of it a lot. It seems to be more tonally complex than Sitka... it still has that solid fundamental, but with stronger overtones.

Adirondack Red Spruce Top/Bracing - When I get some time I'll do some recording and post them. It is surprisingly loud with Pick.

• Members

Phil, Adi (red) spruce is still available but the size and quality is not like the golden era. It tends to have more lines per inch, uneven color and frequently pitch pockets that builders have to work around. Obviously one advantage of a smaller guitar is that it need smaller pieces of wood (duh) - I've built some parlors out of wood that simply wasn't big enough for an OM or dread.

There are also some pretty interesting alternatives to Adirondack - Lutz spruce is a hybrid of

Engleman and Sitka and seems to have very similar properties to Adi (very high strength to weight). It is available in nice looking tight grain and some builders are working with it. The two parlors that I built a year ago were Lutz tops, one was Brazilian and one Madagascar rosewood (ps for the Brazilian it just made sense to use it for a small guitar)

Just like anything else in short supply, when you can find good Adi be prepared to pay a premium.

• Members

Did some recording. Just two Mics for the guitar one at around fret 10 and another larger mic at about 20 degrees from the soundboard 2ft away. Both are original songs second one has my bad vocals.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7avxbwoppjn5wq/Alex_Edney_Parlor_FingerStyle.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8agczmnr7vh7ruj/House_A_Home.mp3?dl=0

Archived