Help! What about a Framus?

Jim Golovan

• Members

Hello people! I'm brand new here so be polite :)

So, I'm getting very interested in a particular acoustic guitar: a Framus FD-14SV. On thomann (online music store) there's no sound clips, and there's just one video on YouTube, played by a Chinese guy... And I don't understand it. So, the specs are good, but again on thomann they said that the sound it that framus is warm...but duller. So... Anyone gets it? Is it good?

https://m.thomann.de/de/framus_fd_14sv_vnt_legacy_series.htm

Aw, my plan is to put a guild DeArmond Tone Boss Pickup later!

• Members

Hi Jim and welcome.

I'm not an expert on Framus but I have run across a couple of them in my repair work. They were a popular European brand in the '70's - both six and twelve strings. They had a couple of unusual construction features - the back was molded and had no braces and at least on some models they used an adjustable saddle insert with a couple of screws to raise and lower it. I'll be honest, the ones I worked on didn't impress me with either build or sound, but they seem to have kind of cult following.

I know that the company was bought and sold and is back in business - frankly I don't know anything about the new ones. As always I think you should actually play and hear a guitar before you buy it. Good luck, let us know what you do.

• Members

The current Framus line appears to be similar to if not the same as what is marketed in the US as ''Alvarez.'' The pickguard and bridge are the same on both. Alvarez are decent guitars for the money. That said, your best bet is to find something, play it, and buy it if you like it.

• Members

I know where the Azores are. You're a bit remote, to be sure. I'm guessing there aren't many music stores near you. For reference, here's a picture of the Framus FD-14SV VNT and the Alvarez AD30 side by side. You can see they're similar but not spot on:

fetch?filedataid=126135

The bridges aren't quite the same but they're similar and the pickguards are the same shape. They may be products of the same factory.

Archived