Dunlop Ultra-Glide, GHS Fast-Fret, Finger-Ease, mineral oil ?

Misha

• Members

Do you use any of these products or others?

Does it work?

Does it tame string noise?

Can it harm the neck?

I've never use any of these products but I'm thinking about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: There is also D'addario Planet Wave XLR8 String Lubricant and Cleaner and Gibson Luthier's Choice String Cleaner that are available.

• Members

Back when I used the uncoated Martin Phosphor Bronze strings, I found that the GHS was great for cleaning off the corrosion that would build up on the strings. Now, that I only use D'Addario XPs (coated) Phosphor Bronze or Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze strings, I find the GHS unnecessary. Tried the Finger Ease back when but never really thought much of it.

• Members

I use Fast-Fret. It's just mineral oil in a convenient dispenser package. Doesn't make any difference to me as far as making the strings easier to play, or reducing string noise, but it does help preserve strings. Finger dirt and oils won't stick as bad, so strings are easier to wipe clean. Doesn't take much. A little dab'll do ya.

Mineral oil won't hurt any of the guitar's surface finishes. As has been said though, don't use anything with silicone in it.

• Members

I don't use anything. I just refretted a guitar for someone who obviously used something - I cleaned the board several times with naptha and tried to fill some small divots in the board with CA and powered rosewood - it simply would not stay in place. I also use CA to seat the frets and told the owner that I could not guarantee that they would stay in place. Kind of hard to charge him a hundred and fifty bucks for work that I couldn't stand behind.

If you ever have a guitar refinished (bad idea but lots of people do) and it has had any oil or wax or silicon products on it it can be almost impossible to get a good finish. Martin specifically says that lemon oil can harm nitrocellulose finish (but of course Bob Taylor recommends it on his poly finished guitars).

So my humble opinion and I know I'm in a minority - all that stuff isn't needed and can cause potential problems down the line. Wipe your strings and guitar off with a damp cloth and use coated strings if you can accept them.

• Members

Salut Misha!

I use Fast-Fret, but very, very sparingly. As Fret-Fiend said, it is just mineral oil in a convenient dispenser. Most of the time, my guitars don't need it. However, if I am playing one of my electrics (which don't get coated strings) and the strings haven't been changed in a while, I might put some on, rather than change the strings. I've had the same FF dispenser for about 8 years now.

• Members
I don't use any of the above but AFAIK they won't hurt your guitar. Do avoid anything with silicone.

I'll try to avoid silicone. (I'll reed carefully the label in case a product would contain some.) Thank's I didn't know it could hurt my guitars!

• Members

Hi FK!

Excuse my French... but what is "CA" ???

About coated strings: I love them but I have at least for sets of new non-coated strings that I would like to use. (I feel a bit guilty when I spend money when I already have something that could work too... But... then... Objectively, if I keep my uncoated strings as spares and get a few sets of Elixir strings, I won't be in trouble!)

I'm surprised that a lot of people use naphta to clean their fretboard. I thought that it was corrosive. I guess I was wrong!?

• Members
Salut Misha!

I use Fast-Fret, but very, very sparingly. As Fret-Fiend said, it is just mineral oil in a convenient dispenser. Most of the time, my guitars don't need it. However, if I am playing one of my electrics (which don't get coated strings) and the strings haven't been changed in a while, I might put some on, rather than change the strings. I've had the same FF dispenser for about 8 years now.

I'll probably try Fast Fret when I'll get the chance to go to the music shop.

Here, in Quebec, Canada, with the weather changes, sometimes, my guitars get really dry. (My Cort Earth Custom got severely damaged during winter, to the point it is now unplayable, actually! It's my fault, I was often absent from home and didn't take the time to check it in its case!)

• Members

Hi Misha

CA is cynoacrylate, better known as super glue. I use it for small repairs and put a tiny drop under frets to hold them down when I do a refret.

Naphtha (I spelled it wrong above) is a reasonably safe solvent for removing gunk and grime, including grease and wax from modern finishes (as always test on an obscure location).

A long time ago I standardized on one brand of coated strings - I can cover all of my quiver with light and mediums and a few singles. For me, the sound, life, feel and lack of squeak are acceptable and I'm willing to pay the price for the life. I always ask a customer what she wants, if there is no preference i'll put a good quality uncoated string on a guitar that I work on. As we have discussed before, milage varies and I won't try to change anyone's opinion.

I also know I'm in the minority about putting stuff on my guitar. I see a different side of things and that affects my judgement. However I just don't think it is necessary.

• Members
I'll probably try Fast Fret when I'll get the chance to go to the music shop.

Here, in Quebec, Canada, with the weather changes, sometimes, my guitars get really dry. (My Cort Earth Custom got severely damaged during winter, to the point it is now unplayable, actually! It's my fault, I was often absent from home and didn't take the time to check it in its case!)

You'd be better off humidifying it with plain old water. Distilled is preferable but you can get by with plain old tap water. Wood doesn't lose oil when it dries out, it loses moisture.

• Members

When I found out that my Cort was damaged, I got a humidifier. Now, I'm a bit traumatized and want to oil everything!

Does the oil get trapped "inside" the wood if it is still there when it looks dry or what?

Archived