New String Day - DR Content

Grant Harding

• Members

A few years ago I stopped using DR strings due to corrosion issues and all of my sets sat in a drawer rusting away. Used mostly Elixir since then but still remember the good old days of DR Sunbeams and the great sound and feel.

Just on an outside chance I contacted DR to let them know my story and see if they'd send me some samples of their current strings as compensation for the 15+ sets of rusty ones.

So they got back to me straight away and explained that they had problems with their packaging supplier at the time not applying the corrosion resistance (the white sleeves).

They offered to replace my sets for me and did so. I just put a set of their Veritas acoustic 12's on my Yamaha LL6 and so far I think they're awesome! Like Sunbeams but better. They don't have that squeeky feeling that some uncoated strings (Martin, Pearse etc).

Not shilling for them, but I'm a very happy camper!

• Members

nice.

I used Elixirs when they first came out the old poly wounds. I one set on till they unraveled.

I am a d'Addario EXP man myself. I buy em in what's call the pro pack. 10 sets. Cheaper by the dozen. The shop packs are nice too, but are not wrapped in plastic.

fd6553d6a0321af5827312f7b79d1429.image.380x380.jpg

• Members

Some time back (actually a long time back) a forumite turned me on to DR strings - he had some sort of in with them and got me a few sets to try. I was very impressed and for a while used them, but they became just too hard to get in t he sizes that I need for various six and twelve strings and resonators and all, so I too went back to Elixers.

One thing that I remember about DR is that their sizing was not to industry standard - you need to check the package instead of just buying "lights". Don't remember what the issue was, but I got bit by something to do with gauges.

• Members
Some time back (actually a long time back) a forumite turned me on to DR strings - he had some sort of in with them and got me a few sets to try. I was very impressed and for a while used them, but they became just too hard to get in t he sizes that I need for various six and twelve strings and resonators and all, so I too went back to Elixers.

One thing that I remember about DR is that their sizing was not to industry standard - you need to check the package instead of just buying "lights". Don't remember what the issue was, but I got bit by something to do with gauges.

They seem pretty standard to me. They seem to use a 54 instead of 53 on the 6th string, but that's about it.Here are a few sets I've got for comparison:

• Members

Happy New Strings Day. :thu: DR used to put sets together differently from other brands. A set of 12's for acoustic were called ''medium,'' what most companies would call ''light'' or maybe ''medium light.'' From what I can tell they no longer depart from industry standard. In spring of this year I found out Guitar Center no longer carried DR. No idea why. Anyway, I have my own New Strings Day and I need to post about it.

Archived